Fonds volumes 793-812 - Mennonite Central Committee fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Mennonite Central Committee fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

CA CMBS volumes 793-812

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1957-2002 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

5.7 m of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Histoire administrative

The Mennonite Collegiate Institute (MCI), originally known as the Mennonitische Bildungsanstalt (Mennonite Educational Institute, MEI) was founded by the MEI School Society in 1888. The school opened its doors in Gretna, Manitoba in 1889 under the direction of teacher Wilhelm Rempel. Heinrich H. Ewert was hired as the school's principal and teacher in 1891, opening the door for the provincial government's support since he had the qualifications required by Manitoba's Department of Education. Under Ewert's leadership the school experienced its incorporation in 1893, the curtailment of governmental support in 1903, and the 1904-1908 controversy regarding the location of a new school building. When Altona was chosen above Gretna and Winkler as the site of the new school, Gretna supporters appointed Ewert as the principal of a new school of their own which they named the Mennonitische Lehranstalt (Mennonite Collegiate Institute). Both the MCI (Gretna) and the new MEI (Altona) were dedicated in 1908. Following its re-opening as the MCI, the school in Gretna underwent several administrative changes. In 1930 the School Society which had founded the institute transferred its control of MCI to the Mennonitische Schulkonferenz von Manitoba (Manitoba Church-School Conference). When this organization disbanded in 1936, the school fell into the jurisdiction of the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba (CMM), which soon relinquished its control to the Schulverein der Mennonitengemeinden Manitobas (Inter-Mennonite Society, Manitoba) in 1939. The school was rebuilt in 1964/65 following a fire that had destroyed the facility in 1963, and major renovations to the dormitory and gymnasium were made in 1976. During the same year (1976), the MCI again began accepting governmental support, signalling a movement towards the educational mainstream that was ushered in with the appointment of Ken Loewen as principal. This trend was somewhat reversed with the Think Tank which met in 1986 to provide direction and purpose for the MCI and whose recommendations reflected a renewed commitment to the values espoused by the school's founders. H.H. Ewert was succeeded by Gerald H. Peters as principal of the MCI at the time of his death in 1934. Other principals include Paul J. Schaefer, Gerhard Ens, Ernie Wiens (as acting principal), Ken Loewen, Allan Dueck, Dave Regehr and Paul Kroeker.

Nom du producteur

MCC

Histoire administrative

Historique de la conservation

The custodial history of this fonds is not completely clear; however, many of the documents in the collection where received from Leonard Siemens or Jacob J. Toews.

Portée et contenu

This fonds consists of a historical sketch, congregational meeting minutes, financial ledgers and a receipt book.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

No restrictions on access.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Finding aid consists of a series description and file list.

Éléments associés

Associated material: The official repository is at the Mennonite Heritage Centre in Winnipeg

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Edition

Described by Leslie Wiebe, July 19, 2002.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés