Fonds volumes 793-812 - Mennonite Central Committee fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Mennonite Central Committee fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS volumes 793-812

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1957-2002 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.7 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Mennonite Collegiate Institute (MCI), originally known as the Mennonitische Bildungsanstalt (Mennonite Educational Institute, MEI) was founded by the MEI School Society in 1888. The school opened its doors in Gretna, Manitoba in 1889 under the direction of teacher Wilhelm Rempel. Heinrich H. Ewert was hired as the school's principal and teacher in 1891, opening the door for the provincial government's support since he had the qualifications required by Manitoba's Department of Education. Under Ewert's leadership the school experienced its incorporation in 1893, the curtailment of governmental support in 1903, and the 1904-1908 controversy regarding the location of a new school building. When Altona was chosen above Gretna and Winkler as the site of the new school, Gretna supporters appointed Ewert as the principal of a new school of their own which they named the Mennonitische Lehranstalt (Mennonite Collegiate Institute). Both the MCI (Gretna) and the new MEI (Altona) were dedicated in 1908. Following its re-opening as the MCI, the school in Gretna underwent several administrative changes. In 1930 the School Society which had founded the institute transferred its control of MCI to the Mennonitische Schulkonferenz von Manitoba (Manitoba Church-School Conference). When this organization disbanded in 1936, the school fell into the jurisdiction of the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba (CMM), which soon relinquished its control to the Schulverein der Mennonitengemeinden Manitobas (Inter-Mennonite Society, Manitoba) in 1939. The school was rebuilt in 1964/65 following a fire that had destroyed the facility in 1963, and major renovations to the dormitory and gymnasium were made in 1976. During the same year (1976), the MCI again began accepting governmental support, signalling a movement towards the educational mainstream that was ushered in with the appointment of Ken Loewen as principal. This trend was somewhat reversed with the Think Tank which met in 1986 to provide direction and purpose for the MCI and whose recommendations reflected a renewed commitment to the values espoused by the school's founders. H.H. Ewert was succeeded by Gerald H. Peters as principal of the MCI at the time of his death in 1934. Other principals include Paul J. Schaefer, Gerhard Ens, Ernie Wiens (as acting principal), Ken Loewen, Allan Dueck, Dave Regehr and Paul Kroeker.

Name of creator

MCC

Administrative history

Custodial history

The custodial history of this fonds is not completely clear; however, many of the documents in the collection where received from Leonard Siemens or Jacob J. Toews.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a historical sketch, congregational meeting minutes, financial ledgers and a receipt book.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid consists of a series description and file list.

Associated materials

Associated material: The official repository is at the Mennonite Heritage Centre in Winnipeg

Related materials

Accruals

Edition

Described by Leslie Wiebe, July 19, 2002.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres