Collection 1986.397 - Mckenzie Seeds Co. Collection

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Mckenzie Seeds Co. Collection

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel
  • Document graphique

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Collection

Cote

CA DHM 1986.397

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1898-1965; predominantly 1920 – 1930 (Production)
    Producteur
    A.E. McKenzie Company

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

4 maps
3.5 cm of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1896-1994)

Histoire administrative

The A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was founded in 1896 by Albert Edward McKenzie as The Brandon Seed House. In 1906, the company underwent a change of name when A. E. McKenzie, who up until that point had been running the company on his own, decided that the growth of the country demanded a larger seed institute than could be managed by just one man. As a result, the company was incorporated under the Joint Stock Companies Act as A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd., under the Statutes of the Province of Manitoba, and new personnel were hired. Initially comprised of three divisions, The Brandon Seed House, Brandon Nurseries and Brandon Greenhouses, with each division registered under Dominion Patents, the company was later divided into Retail Mail Order, Wholesale and Commission Packet Trade divisions, as well as some export business. Located at 30 9th Street, Brandon, Manitoba, the head office and plant of A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. housed all the facilities and staff of the company, except the regional sales offices and warehouses. In 1908 the first branch of the A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was established at Calgary. In the following sixteen years additional branches were established in other Canadian cities. In 1930, McKenzie Seeds created the Seed Marketing Co. as a means of supplying distressed farmers with seed. This was accomplished through a Seed Grain Mortgage; this agreement was made before planting took place. Following harvest the mortgage was to be paid off. The Company fell into default and ceased to exist in 1962. In the years 1944-1945, the McKenzie Foundation was created, at which time 90% of the shares of the company were turned over to the Manitoba Government for the benefit of higher education, specifically Brandon College. Since 1975 the crown has held all shares of the McKenzie Co. through the Province of Manitoba. A.E. McKenzie died on September 25, 1964 at the age of 94 and was succeeded as president by a number of individuals. Late in 1971 A. E. McKenzie Co. Ltd. purchased its largest competition in packaged seeds - Steele Briggs Seed Co., and at the time of the acquisition the company changed its name to A. E. McKenzie Co. - Steele Briggs Seeds. Other acquisitions included McFayden Seeds (1941), the Canada Seed Company, which merged with Steele Briggs in the 1930's, Brett-Young Seeds (1971), and Pike & Co. (1982). In 1994 the Manitoba Government sold the A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. to Regal Greetings and Gifts.

Historique de la conservation

The material in this fonds was first given to the Assiniboine Historical Society by McKenzie Seeds manager, Patrick O’Donovan in 1972. Later, in 1986, the items were accessioned at the Daly House Museum. All items from the fonds are now housed at Daly House. Numerous artifacts were also donated at the same time, however, this description pertains only archival materials.

Portée et contenu

Materials in the fonds were created by A.E. McKenzie Co. Ltd. The fonds contains items pertaining to the seed business, including catalogues, price lists, advertisements, correspondence, recipes, and information booklets about gardening and farming. There are also four large map boards of different areas in Western Canada. Each item is described in detail at the individual level on the Daly House Museum Database.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Maps are located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the file room. All documents are located in the third floor main room of Daly House in a box on the middle shelving unit.

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

The collection is under the standard policy issued by the directors of the Daly House Museum. No materials are to leave the Museum premises without authority of the Board of Directors. Reprints and photocopies will be made available upon request.

Instruments de recherche

1986.397.1 – 1986.397.4: maps
1986.397.11 –1986.397.64: documents

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés