Collection 1986.397 - Mckenzie Seeds Co. Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Mckenzie Seeds Co. Collection

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Repository

Reference code

CA DHM 1986.397

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1898-1965; predominantly 1920 – 1930 (Creation)
    Creator
    A.E. McKenzie Company

Physical description area

Physical description

4 maps
3.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1896-1994)

Administrative history

The A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was founded in 1896 by Albert Edward McKenzie as The Brandon Seed House. In 1906, the company underwent a change of name when A. E. McKenzie, who up until that point had been running the company on his own, decided that the growth of the country demanded a larger seed institute than could be managed by just one man. As a result, the company was incorporated under the Joint Stock Companies Act as A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd., under the Statutes of the Province of Manitoba, and new personnel were hired. Initially comprised of three divisions, The Brandon Seed House, Brandon Nurseries and Brandon Greenhouses, with each division registered under Dominion Patents, the company was later divided into Retail Mail Order, Wholesale and Commission Packet Trade divisions, as well as some export business. Located at 30 9th Street, Brandon, Manitoba, the head office and plant of A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. housed all the facilities and staff of the company, except the regional sales offices and warehouses. In 1908 the first branch of the A. E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. was established at Calgary. In the following sixteen years additional branches were established in other Canadian cities. In 1930, McKenzie Seeds created the Seed Marketing Co. as a means of supplying distressed farmers with seed. This was accomplished through a Seed Grain Mortgage; this agreement was made before planting took place. Following harvest the mortgage was to be paid off. The Company fell into default and ceased to exist in 1962. In the years 1944-1945, the McKenzie Foundation was created, at which time 90% of the shares of the company were turned over to the Manitoba Government for the benefit of higher education, specifically Brandon College. Since 1975 the crown has held all shares of the McKenzie Co. through the Province of Manitoba. A.E. McKenzie died on September 25, 1964 at the age of 94 and was succeeded as president by a number of individuals. Late in 1971 A. E. McKenzie Co. Ltd. purchased its largest competition in packaged seeds - Steele Briggs Seed Co., and at the time of the acquisition the company changed its name to A. E. McKenzie Co. - Steele Briggs Seeds. Other acquisitions included McFayden Seeds (1941), the Canada Seed Company, which merged with Steele Briggs in the 1930's, Brett-Young Seeds (1971), and Pike & Co. (1982). In 1994 the Manitoba Government sold the A.E. McKenzie Seed Co. Ltd. to Regal Greetings and Gifts.

Custodial history

The material in this fonds was first given to the Assiniboine Historical Society by McKenzie Seeds manager, Patrick O’Donovan in 1972. Later, in 1986, the items were accessioned at the Daly House Museum. All items from the fonds are now housed at Daly House. Numerous artifacts were also donated at the same time, however, this description pertains only archival materials.

Scope and content

Materials in the fonds were created by A.E. McKenzie Co. Ltd. The fonds contains items pertaining to the seed business, including catalogues, price lists, advertisements, correspondence, recipes, and information booklets about gardening and farming. There are also four large map boards of different areas in Western Canada. Each item is described in detail at the individual level on the Daly House Museum Database.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Maps are located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the file room. All documents are located in the third floor main room of Daly House in a box on the middle shelving unit.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

The collection is under the standard policy issued by the directors of the Daly House Museum. No materials are to leave the Museum premises without authority of the Board of Directors. Reprints and photocopies will be made available upon request.

Finding aids

1986.397.1 – 1986.397.4: maps
1986.397.11 –1986.397.64: documents

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres