Fonds MC - Manitoba College fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Manitoba College fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UWA MC

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1872 - 1940 (Creation)
    Creator
    Manitoba College

Physical description area

Physical description

7.0 m of textual records and two cloth hoods

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1871-1938)

Administrative history

Manitoba College was founded by the Presbytarian minister Dr. John Black in the Kildonan school, “Nisbet Hall,” on what is now the east side of Main Street just past Chief Peguis Trail, with seventeen students in its first year. It was one of the first three colleges to be incorporated in the University of Manitoba, including St. Boniface College and St. John's College, in 1877. Manitoba College taught Arts and Theology, and in 1882, opened the doors of its newly constructed college building on Ellice Avenue. In 1913, due to their long co-operation and the proximity of their sites, Manitoba College entered into an experimental partnership with Wesley College called the United Colleges; however in 1914 they returned to independence and Manitoba College gave up instruction in Arts. In 1931, due to financial constraints, they sold their building to St. John's and rented back space there and with Wesley College. Finally, in 1938, Manitoba College formally joined with Wesley College and became a single institution, United College.

Custodial history

The records in this fonds were originally accumulated in the Manitoba College library until their building was sold to St. Paul’s College in 1931. At that time its library materials were transferred to Wesley College and stored in various locations on campus. Between 1980 and 1984, Shirley Payment and Delza Longman consolidated the archival records on campus in the University of Winnipeg Library and arranged the Manitoba College records into this fonds.

Scope and content

Records in this fonds were generated through the administration of Manitoba College, including its teaching faculty, governing bodies, and committees. They include student records, financial records, minutes, correspondence, and issues of the College’s periodical, Manitoba College Journal. Fonds is arranged in nineteen series.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Entry created 8 April 2019 -- Daniel Matthes

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres