Title and statement of responsibility area
Makinak Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 88 - 18
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1917 - 1925 (Creation)
Physical description area
1 volume textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Makinak Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Makinak, located northwest of McCreary, from 1910 to 1925. Makinak first appears as a preaching point in 1898. The first services in the Makinak district were held in private homes and in a large hall over the Alfred Douglas hardware store. This charge was served by students and also by ministers from Dauphin. In 1909, the Methodist Circuit centred on Makinak and Ochre River also included the preaching points of Hamilton School, Bay Centre, Dickson, Canadaville, Laurier and South Makinak (later called Carrick), Turtle River, East Bay, and Million. Church land was acquired from Miss Katie Gunn, and Messrs. John N. and William Campbell, who donated 2/5 acres of part SW ¼ 16-23-16. A church was officially opened in July of 1911 and the building was shared by the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations. In 1925, the Makinak Presbyterian and Methodist congregations officially joined The United Church of Canada and the church became known as Makinak United Church.
The records of Makinak Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Lakeside Pastoral charge on May 24, 1988.
Scope and content
The records of Makinak Methodist Church held at the conference archives include a Circuit register (1917-1925).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See the records of the Lakeside Pastoral charge for material pertaining to Makinak United Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Lakeside Pastoral charge (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description