Fonds Acc: Ex 58 - Lynn Lake United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lynn Lake United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc: Ex 58

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1951 - 1964 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 volume of textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Lynn Lake United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Lynn Lake, located west of Barrington Lake, since 1953. The first services were held at the local school. Many of the community's structures were originally built in the mining town of Sherridon, some 270 kilometres south of Lynn Lake. When the Sherridon mine shut down, the town was trucked piece by piece and building by building, over the frozen muskeg to the new mine site in Lynn Lake, including Sherridon's United Church and manse. The manse was moved to Lynn Lake on February 6, 1953 and the church, originally built in 1930 and renovated in 1940, was moved to Lynn Lake on March 12 1953. New foundations were built for both buildings upon their arrival to Lynn Lake. Rev. T. Fenske was the first to officiate in the newly moved church. An extension was added to the church building in 1961. Lorie River was included as a preaching point from 1968 to 1969. In 1970, Lynn Lake United Church began to be served by Anglican clergy, and eventually both Anglican and United Church services were held at St. Simon's Anglican Church. The ownership of Lynn Lake United Church was transferred over to the local Kinsmen Club in 1985 and is now used as the Kinsmen Youth Centre.

Custodial history

The records of Lynn Lake United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Lynn Lake United Church.

Scope and content

The records of Lynn Lake United Church held at the conference archives include a Sacramental register pertaining to Baptisms (1951-1958), Marriages (1953-1958 and 1964), and Burials (1955-1957).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the records of the Home Missions for further material pertaining to Lynn Lake United Church.

Associated material: See also the records of St. Simon's Anglican/United Church in Lynn Lake, Manitoba.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres