Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UWA MC-MC-5
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1896 - 1925 (Creation)
- Manitoba College
Physical description area
5 boxes of textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Manitoba College was founded by the Presbytarian minister Dr. John Black in the Kildonan school, “Nisbet Hall,” on what is now the east side of Main Street just past Chief Peguis Trail, with seventeen students in its first year. It was one of the first three colleges to be incorporated in the University of Manitoba, including St. Boniface College and St. John's College, in 1877. Manitoba College taught Arts and Theology, and in 1882, opened the doors of its newly constructed college building on Ellice Avenue. In 1913, due to their long co-operation and the proximity of their sites, Manitoba College entered into an experimental partnership with Wesley College called the United Colleges; however in 1914 they returned to independence and Manitoba College gave up instruction in Arts. In 1931, due to financial constraints, they sold their building to St. John's and rented back space there and with Wesley College. Finally, in 1938, Manitoba College formally joined with Wesley College and became a single institution, United College.
Records were transferred to the University of Winnipeg Archives from unknown custody somewhere in the University of Winnipeg, and subsequently arranged and described, in 1981.
Scope and content
Box consists primarily of the correspondence of Dr. Andrew Browning Baird on behalf of the Manitoba College Library: receipts, advertisements, and communication both outgoing [copies] and incoming, with library patrons, booksellers, bookbinders, stationary suppliers, other libraries, museums, and publishers. Includes a small number of other documents related to the library such as inventory lists, a draft of library rules, and a brief biography of Dr. Baird clipped from an unknown newspaper. Documents are sorted [seemingly arbitrarily] into five boxes, and within each box are divided into files: in which the papers are alphabetized by the name of the corporate body or individual generating the document.
Immediate source of acquisition
These papers may be rearranged in the future.
They will also likely be condensed, and a more accurate measurement of extent recorded.