Fonds BA-502: Microfilm: R53 - Lendrum Mennonite Brethren Church, Edmonton, Alberta fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lendrum Mennonite Brethren Church, Edmonton, Alberta fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS BA-502: Microfilm: R53

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1958-2001 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

40.5 cm of textual records
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In the 1950s Mennonite youth were moving to Edmonton to study or work. In 1957 the Alberta Mennonite Brethren Missions sent a leader there for this group. They met in homes and then rented facilities. In 1959 the group officially founded the Edmonton Mennonite Brethren Mission Group with 22 members. In 1961 they began plans to build their own meeting house and founded the Edmonton Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1962 the congregation officially joined the Alberta Mennonite Brethren Conference as the Lendrum Mennonite Brethren Church with 49 charter members. In 1964 an educational wing was added. In 1971 the building was again expanded. In 1975 the membership stood at 176. The congregation became involved in various community-based activities such as nurseries, kindergartens, arts festivals, among others. In 1990 the membership was 214 and in 2000 it was 226. The leaders of the congregation were: B. W. Sawatzky (1959), Henry Thielmann (1960), Peter Rempel (1960-1969), George Warkentin (1970-1971), Abe Konrad (1972, 1979), Marvin Schmidt (1973-1978), Pam and Waldo Pauls (1980-1988), Herb Kopp (1988-1994), David Dyck (1995- ).

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the Centre for M.B. Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba on a regular basis to 2001. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of five series: Lendrum Mennonite Brethren Church history, Bulletins, Church registers, Minutes, and church directories.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres