Series 1 - Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church history.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church history.

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

CA CMBS BC-508, R88, pp 1224-2058-1

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1974, 1981, 1984 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

0.5 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1926, fifteen families settled in the Lena area. These Mennonite settlers felt the need to join together for some worship and fellowship. At first the congregation met in homes but then the Plum Hollow School, near Lena, was made available. In 1928, the congregation decided to meet in two locations, one in Holmfield and one in Lena. The official name of the two groups was the Holmfield Mennonite Brethren Church. The Holmfield group met in various homes and then rented a school. Once a month, joint communion services with the Lena group, as well as baptisms, were held in the town hall or the local United Church. These services were whole day events. In the 1940s, when car travel became more common place the joint services took place only in the morning. The Holmfield group merged with the Lena group in 1959 as a result of dissension among the group and declining membership. By the early 1960s, English was mostly used in the services. In 1967, the congregation decided to build a new church building in Killarney because of lack of space. The first service in this new building was on Christmas Eve. In 1968, the name officially changed to Lakeview Mennonite Brethren Church. The leaders of the Lena church included: Franze Enns (1930-1936), Gerhard Hildebrand (1937-1945), Jacob Poetker (1946-1958). The leaders of the Holmfield church included: Heinrich Unger (1930-1936), Heinrich Derksen (1937), Peter Schulz (1938-1950), P. F. Sawatzky (1951-1952), P. Schulz (1953-1957), J. D. Froese (1958). When the churches merged, the leaders included: J. F. Poetker (1959-1965), G. P. Martens (1966), Harry Martens (1967-1972), Abram J. Neufeld (1973-1975), Nick Sawatzky (1976), Ernie Bergen (1977-1984), Walter Janzen (1986-1989), Garry Harms (1991), Dan Stobbe (1992-1998).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This series consists of three historical sketches, information for the historical commission and some lists of the first members of the churches.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres