Fonds BA-508; Microfilm: R54 - La Glace Bible Fellowship, La Glace, Alberta fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

La Glace Bible Fellowship, La Glace, Alberta fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA CMBS BA-508; Microfilm: R54

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1928-1983 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm of textual records
1 microfilm reel

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Mennonite immigrants from Russia began arriving in northern Alberta in 1926. The first congregational meeting occurred in the Wedel home in 1928. A meeting house was constructed in 1929 where they worshiped. These families came from various Mennonite conference backgrounds. In 1934 they founded a Mennonite Bible School. The congregation joined the Alberta Mennonite Brethren Conference before 1937 (maybe as early as 1930). The membership stood at 73 in 1937. In the 1940s families began to leave for the Fraser valley, B.C. In 1961 they built a new meeting house using the old Bible School building. The name changed to the La Glace Bible Fellowship Church in 1985. The membership stood at 45 in 1977 and at 82 in 2000. The leaders of the congregation were: Johann Schmidt (1930-1931), Abr. Janz (1932-1938), Abr. Konrad (1939-1943, 1946-1950), Martin Hamm (1944-1945), John Kroeker (1951), Ed Martens (1952-1956), John J. Heidebrecht (1957-1971), George Block (1960-1962), Victor Pankratz (1963-1975), Dwight Nickel (1976-1978), John Schmidt (1978), Art Isaac (1979-1983), Peter Boschman (1984-1994), Jack Janzen (1995), Henry Willms (1957-1960, 1996), Nelson Senft (1997- ).

Custodial history

Records were transferred to the Centre for M.B. Studies archives in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Some records were microfilmed in 1978 through the work of the Historical Commission of the Mennonite Brethren Conference.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a congregational historical sketch ([196-?]), a brief congregational history (1985), 50th anniversary booklet and newspaper clippings (1978), congregational bulletins (1979-1983), family, membership, and baptismal registers (1928-1978), congregational meeting minutes (1944-1978), congregational church council meeting minutes (1960-1961), congregational financial records (1942-1976).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Series description and a file list is available.

Associated materials

Related materials


Language of material note

Some German.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres