Fonds Acc: 81 - 12; 91 - 08; 94 - 05 - Knox United Church - Shuniah Street fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Knox United Church - Shuniah Street fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description



CA UCA Acc: 81 - 12; 91 - 08; 94 - 05

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production


  • 1909 - 1993 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

6m textual material, and photographs.

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur


Histoire administrative

Knox United Church has existed in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay, since 1925. Its predecessor was Knox Presbyterian Church. In 1927, the Commission of Presbytery defined the Knox district as serving the north portion of the city from the Lake front along McVicker's Creek to Regent Street and continuing along the centre of River Street. Talk of building a new church began as early as 1929, but disagreements and World War Two delayed plans. Mr. Tom Crittall donated the land for the new church, and the last service in the old church was held on May 1, 1949. After that services were held in the basement of the new church until it was completed and dedicated on May 29, 1949 by the Right Rev. W. Brewing. The old church was sold in 1949 to the Sons of England Fraternal Society. It was later sold again and converted into a dwelling house. The old manse on Wolseley Street was sold in 1952, to be replaced by a house at 310 North Algoma Street. In September of 1954 Rev. N.K. Campbell of Knox United Church organized a Sunday School and Church services in Balsam School in the Brent Park district because of the growing congregation at Knox. This mission later became Westminster United Church. A new hall was completed in May of 1963. Knox, Westminster, and Current River United Churches formed the Northland Parish in 1969, but Knox left the Northland Parish in 1973, to become an independent charge with Rev. Don White as their minister. Knox United Church became known as Knox United Church - Shuniah Street in 1970 to distinguish it from the Knox United Church in Fort William after the two towns amalgamated to become Thunder Bay. Knox United - Shuniah Street, as of 2009, continues to be an independant charge within the Cambrian Presbytery.

Historique de la conservation

The records of Knox United Church - Shuniah Street came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from the Knox United Church - Shuniah Street in 1981, 1991, and 1994.

Portée et contenu

The surviving records of Knox United Church - Shuniah Street include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Marriages (1925-1983), and photocopies (1975-1990), photocopies of Baptisms (1959-1990); Records of Congregational Membership, including Communion Rolls (1911-1960) and a Historic Roll (1928-1959); records of the Congregation, including data (1909-1953), annual reports (1921, 1922, 1925, 1926, 1928-1948, 1950-1969, 1970 and 1993), financial records (1967-1970), deeds and documents (1912-1952), property records (1950-1960's), service leaflets (1949-1959, 1974), minutes (1921-1957), history, newsletters (1968-1979), 50th anniversary documents, and miscellaneous newspaper clippings; records of the Official Board (1927-1989); records of the Combined Board (1968-1969); records of the Membership, Worship, and Christian Education (1969-1970); records of the Session (1929-1981), and a summary of the years 1981 to 1988; records of the Board of Management (1920-1937); records of the Board of Stewards (1937-1951, 1960-1967, 1974-1978, 1981-1990), financial statements (1960-1965), plus a summary of the years 1981-1989; records of the Treasurer, including cash books (1939-1958, 1964-1970); records of the Extension Committee, including a cash book (1923-1928); records of the Building Committee, (1937-1950), literature (1962), and architect's plans (1949); records of the M&M Committee, including a cash book (1949-1957) and minutes (1953-1961); records of the Property, Manse, and Community Committee (1967-1969); records of the Sunday School, including financial records (1935-1951) and minutes (1939-1964), plus a summary of the years 1981-1988; records of the Visitation/ Public Relations Committee (1967-1968); records of the Christian Education Committee (1967-1969); records of the Ladies Aid, including collection cash books (1909-1911, 1922-1938), cash books (1911-1954), and minutes (1937-1946); records of the Canadian Girls In Training (C.G.I.T.), including newspaper articles (1971), minutes (1933-1942, 1970-1971); record of the Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S.), including minutes (1931-1949, 1955-1961), cash books (1942-1949, 1955-1961), and a scrapbook from the Grace Patterson Auxiliary (1959); records from the Woman's Auxiliary (W.A.), including minutes (1945-1956), cash books (1944-1968), financial records (1961), notes from the secretary (1950-1961), and a constitution (1946); records of the United Church Women (U.C.W.), including minutes from the Provisional Committee (1961), minutes (1962-1988), plus summaries (1980-1989), cash books (1955-1989), history (1961), and Secretary's Notes dating from 1962-1979); records of the As One That Serves (A.O.T.S.) including minutes (1950-1957), miscellaneous papers of the National Association (1950-1956), and of the Superior Council (1951-1956); records of the Junior Choir (1934-1937); records of the Choir, including attendance and financial records (1954-1964); records of the Mission Band (1922-1936); Roll (1915-1936), and financial records (1933-1952); records of the Prospector's Club (1921-1930); records of the Young People's Club (1934-1938), records of the Boys Club (1935-1938, 1940-1944); records of the Explorers, including finances (1937-1941), minutes and attendance (1947-1958), and minutes of the Boys Group (1939-1942); records of the Adult Club (1948-1952); records of the 101st Brownies (1981-1988); records from the 12th PA Group Committee (1981-1989); records of the "Observer" Representative (1980-1988); records of the Knox Memorial Fund Committee (1977-1988).

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition


Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Item and series level inventories are available.

Éléments associés

Related material: "Our Story: Knox United Church 1909 - 1993".

Éléments associés


Further accruals are expected.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé


Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions


Niveau de détail

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description


Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Personnes et organismes associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés