Knox United Church - Shuniah Street

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Knox United Church - Shuniah Street

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Knox United Church has existed in the Ontario community of Port Arthur, now known as Thunder Bay, since 1925. Its predecessor was Knox Presbyterian Church. In 1927, the Commission of Presbytery defined the Knox district as serving the north portion of the city from the Lake front along McVicker's Creek to Regent Street and continuing along the centre of River Street. Talk of building a new church began as early as 1929, but disagreements and World War Two delayed plans. Mr. Tom Crittall donated the land for the new church, and the last service in the old church was held on May 1, 1949. After that services were held in the basement of the new church until it was completed and dedicated on May 29, 1949 by the Right Rev. W. Brewing. The old church was sold in 1949 to the Sons of England Fraternal Society. It was later sold again and converted into a dwelling house. The old manse on Wolseley Street was sold in 1952, to be replaced by a house at 310 North Algoma Street. In September of 1954 Rev. N.K. Campbell of Knox United Church organized a Sunday School and Church services in Balsam School in the Brent Park district because of the growing congregation at Knox. This mission later became Westminster United Church. A new hall was completed in May of 1963. Knox, Westminster, and Current River United Churches formed the Northland Parish in 1969, but Knox left the Northland Parish in 1973, to become an independent charge with Rev. Don White as their minister. Knox United Church became known as Knox United Church - Shuniah Street in 1970 to distinguish it from the Knox United Church in Fort William after the two towns amalgamated to become Thunder Bay. Knox United - Shuniah Street, as of 2009, continues to be an independant charge within the Cambrian Presbytery.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places