Title and statement of responsibility area
Minitonas Knox United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 83-3; 86-19;92-01;06-39
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
30 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Knox United Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Minitonas since 1925. The church first began as a Presbyterian Church in 1899 with Rev. F. Johnston as Minister. His headquarters were in Tent Town and he was Minister at large for the whole Valley, along with Rev. North. Services were first held in homes, halls, in the C.N .R. station, the hotel, and store. In 1900, a Union Sunday School was started, and plans were implemented to build. That summer, both the Methodist and Presbyterian Congregations built churches in Minitonas. The First World War caused a shortage of ministers, so the two churches developed a Co-operative phase. There would be a minister of one denomination in one charge, and one of another denomination in the next. This may have smoothed the pathway for the amalgamation to form the United Church in 1925. In 1900, the Methodist Church in Lidstone had 55 members while Minitonas had 58 members. Church services in Lidstone were also still being held in the rural schools, even though the church buildings were in Minitonas. The present Knox United Church was built in 1952, with many hours of volunteer labor in building, canvassing and providing meals for workers. The church was officially opened and dedicated on the first Sunday in 1953.
The records of Knox United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from Rev. Brenda Ferguson in 1983; Orville Hanson in 1986; the Pastoral charge in 1992; and from Laura Henderson in 2006.
Scope and content
The records of Knox United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental registers pertaining to Baptisms (1901-1939), Marriages (1902-1942, 1966, 1968), and Burials (1902--1942,1964); records of the Official Board (1920-1997); Circuit register (1900-1942); records of the Session (1915-1967); records of the Board of Managers/Local Board (1918-1959); records of membership (1925); records of the Temperance Committee (1953-1958); records of the Women's Association (1939-1947); records of the Ladies Aid (1947-1961); records of the Woman's Missionary Society (1954-1961); records of the Women's Auxiliary (1959-1961); records of the Junior Association (1944-1959); records of the U.C.W. (1962-1987); records of the Young People's Society (1931, 1935); records of the C.G.I.T. (1949-1968); and records of the congregation (1934-1951).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level and series descriptions are available.
Related material: See also the records of the Swan River and the Bowsman-Minitonas-Birch River Pastoral charges for other material pertaining to Knox United Church.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description