Title and statement of responsibility area
Souris Knox United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 1999-76; 2009-24
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
7 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Knox United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Souris, located south of Brandon, from 1925 to 1944. At Union in 1925, Knox Presbyterian Church (referred to as the "west" church) became Knox United Church. It and the Methodists' Fifth Avenue United Church (known as the "east" church) retained their ministers and services. Knox purchased a manse at the rear of the church in 1928. The two United Churches continued until 1937 when Fifth Avenue's Rev. N. Daynard volunteered to give services at both churches because Knox's Rev. G. Abernathy had become ill. Joint preaching followed later and in 1944 the congregations decided to use only one church. The "east" church was chosen and Fifth Avenue United Church underwent interior renovations to prepare. The "west" church's pipe organ was moved to the "east" and reassembled. In 1946, the congregation chose St. Paul's United Church as the name for Souris' "new" United Church.
The records of Knox United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from the Souris- Elgin Pastoral charge in 1999 and 2009.
Scope and content
The records of Knox United Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1903-1939), Marriages (1905-1937), Burials (1905, 1927-1938); records of the Session (1893-1940); records of the Board of Stewards (1938-1942); records of the Ladies Aid (1931-1932); and records of the Woman's Missionary Society (1926-1940).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the Souris-Elgin Pastoral charge for other material pertaining to Knox United Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description