Title and statement of responsibility area
Rainy River United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1902 - 1994 (Creation)
Physical description area
23 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Rainy River United Church has existed in the Ontario community of Rainy River since 1925. Its predecessor was a Local Union formed with the Rainy River Methodist Church and Rainy River Knox Presbyterian Church in 1922. The Presbyterian Church, built in 1903, continued to be used in the Union and the United Church. The Methodist Church was sold in 1925 and was later resold to the I.O.O.F. Lodge. The United Church had a basement added shortly after Union in 1925. In 1950, the charge became known as Rainy River-Stratton, and included Blue 4 School, Nelles, Pinewood, and Three Bridges. By 1959, the charge included Pinewood and Morson. North Branch was added to the charge in 1960, but was removed a few years later. In 1970, the charge only included Rainy River and Stratton. Major renovations to the church building were done in 1983 as an 80th Anniversary project.
The records of Rainy River United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from the Rainy River - Stratton Pastoral charge in 1996 and 2004.
Scope and content
The records of the Rainy River United Church housed at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms (1903-1957), Marriages (1902-1970), and Burials (1906-1985); Circuit Register (1902-1932); records of the congregation (1904-1994); Communion Roll (1904-1995); records of the Session (1917-1959); records of the Session and Board of Elders (1960-1977); records of the Official Board (1926-1935); financial reports (1982); records of the Sunday School (1965-1969); records of the East/West/Centre Circle (1929-1940); records of the Board of Stewards (1958-1993); records of the U.C.W. (1960-1963).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some limits on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description