Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg Knox Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
1m textual records, other material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Knox Presbyterian Church existed in Winnipeg from 1868 to 1925. Rev. John Black, the first Presbyterian minister in the Red River Settlement, conducted early services in the Court House of Fort Garry until a small wooden church was constructed in 1868. Black named the small structure 'Knox Church' in 1870 and in 1872 the congregation of Knox Church was officially organized. Additions were made to the church in 1873 and 1875 to accommodate its expanding membership. Rev. James Robertson was called as the first permanent minister of Knox Church in 1874. The congregation of Knox Presbyterian Church erected a new church building in 1879, and moved the old building to the rear of the lot. In 1882 the original Knox Church lot was sold and a new one was purchased. A temporary hall was erected for the congregation on Hargrave Street while their new church was constructed on the corner of Donald and Ellice Ave. In August 1884, the third Knox Church was opened for service. Knox Presbyterian Church aided in the establishment of several Presbyterian congregations in Winnipeg: St. Andrew's Church in 1881, Augustine Church in 1887, Martin Luther King Icelandic Church in 1888, and West End Mission in 1889. By 1913, the Knox Presbyterian congregation outgrew the Hargrave Street Church, and decided to purchase a site for a new church at Donald Street and Qu'Appelle Avenue (Edmonton Street). Construction began in 1914 but was put on hold during the war, delaying the completion of the church to 1917. The large, gothic church structure held its opening service in the spring of 1917. In 1925, Knox Presbyterian Church joined the United Church of Canada.
The records of Knox Presbyterian Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1981 and 2000.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Knox Presbyterian Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1874-1925, Marriages, 1874-1925, and Burials, 1874-1880; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including communion rolls and minutes, 1874-1923; records of the Board of Managers, including minutes, 1895-1915; Annual Reports, 1884, 1904, 1917; records pertaining to church property, including legal deeds, 1878-1911; records of the Knox Christian Endeavour, including minutes and annual reports, 1889-1917; records of the Knox Auxiliary, including minutes, 1904-1907; records pertaining to Missionary and Maintenance, 1901-1911; records of lay associations, including the Women's Association and the Genevieve Irwin Missionary Auxiliary, 1897-1924; and reference material, including architectural plans, clippings, anniversary booklet, orders of service, pamphlets, correspondence, a scrapbook and material pertaining to Rev. F. B. Duval, and a 'historical resume of minutes'.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of Knox United Church for records pertaining to Knox Presbyterian Church dating from 1873.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description