Fonds OW043 - Kaleida, St Mary/St Alban fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Kaleida, St Mary/St Alban fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW043

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

5 cm textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

St Mary, Kaleida, originally known as the Riverdale Congregation, began meeting in the early 1890s. The congregation discussed uniting with Pembina Crossing before deciding to build their own church in 1892. They chose the name "St Mary" to honour the home parish in England of the Honourable Wm. Winram, who served thirteen consecutive years in the Manitoba Legislature in addition to holding the position of House Speaker. The church was also built as a memorial to Winram. Land for a cemetery was donated by a D. McMichael, Esq. Q.C. of Toronto. The opening service of the Winram Memorial Church was held on 30 October 1892. Rev. N. Hewitt presided over a congregation of more than two hundred. In its early days, St Mary shared a minister with Snowflake (OW.088), Mowbray (OW.060) and Pembina Crossing (OW.069). Morden (OW. 058) was briefly served by this arrangement in the 1960s as well. On 31 August 1971, Bishop Valentine rededicated St Mary. The service was held after over four thousand dollars were raised and donated towards the restoration of the church building. In 1981, Snowflake Parish amalgamated with St Mary. St Mary's boundaries were enlarged to include those of Snowflake and the Parish was renamed St Mary/St Alban to reflect the union. St Mary/St Alban is a part of the Pembina Hills Parishes, which includes St Barnabas, Altamont (OW.001); St Paul, Clearwater (OW.016); St Andrew, Crystal City (OW.019); St John the Baptist, Manitou (OW.051); St Matthew, New Haven (OW.065); St Luke, Pembina Crossing (OW.069); and St John the Evangelist, Pilot Mound (OW.070). In 1990, following the departure of one clergyman (the parishes had previously been served by two fulltime ministers) the parishes undertook a Total Ministry program. Sixteen members of the parishes took courses that would enable them as lay readers to assist and at times lead in worship. On 23 February 1992, they were commissioned as lay ministers in a Commissioning Service held at St John the Baptist in Manitou. In Kaleida, lay ministers now take morning prayer service and the Priest presides over Holy Communion services once a month.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives

Scope and content

The records of St Mary/St Alban include: Canonical Documents; Titles; Blueprints; Sacramental Register; Record of Service Book; Vestry Minutes; a research file, and one photograph.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Canonical Documents, Titles, Blueprints, Research and the Sacramental Register are all held in the Upper Vault. The Record of Service Book and Vestry Minutes are stored in the Lower Vault.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of Parish Registers are limited to Archives staff.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parish Finding Aid

Associated materials

The Pembina Manitou Archive has digitized some records, including a Vestry Minute book dating from 1890 and a minute book for the Ladies' Aid committee for 1935-1936. https://pembinamanitouarchive.ca/

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Clergy list:
1896-1897 Rev A De B Owen
1898-1899 Rev FH Wimberly
1900-1902 Rev WP Gahan
1905-1909 Rev L Swalwall
1910-1911 Rev F Brosier
1912-1916 Rev J Hilton
1917-1923 Rev SL Nash
1924-1926 Rev GR Calvert
1932-1933 Rev J Rogers
1934-1936 Rev GWF McKinney
1937-1938 Rev JO Anderson
1939-1941 Rev GA Harris
1944-1945 Rev JE Bethel
1946-1947 Rev GPP Chant
1961-1963 Rev AG Johnson
1964-1967 Rev JR Settler
1968-1973 Rev DB Jackson
1974-1977 Rev RE Stallard
1978-1979 Rev RJM Willingham
1980-1982 Rev BT Ward
1982-1983 Rev ES McCollin-Moore, Rev. G.M. Spurll
1984-1985 Rev GM Spurll
1986-1991 Rev K Turnbull (Priest Associate) and Rev IJE Mills (Priest Associate)
1995-2008 Rev A Jacobs
2008- Rev T Morris

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres