Title and statement of responsibility area
Shewan Family Collection
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DHM 2005.17
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Shewan family
Physical description area
1 framed document
29 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Alexander Shewan (1866-1947) was a dry goods merchant born in Ontario. He came to Brandon, Manitoba c.1890 and began a successful business firm with fellow Brandon businessman, Frederick Nation (1861-1955). Together, they opened Nation & Shewan, a dry goods store that grew into one of Brandon's most successful department stores. Known as "Brandon's up-to-date store," Nation & Shewan was a large building on Rosser Avenue where, as well as selling clothing and food, they manufactured women's bonnets and dresses. At its height, the store employed 125 workers. In 1926 when Nation retired, the store became Shewan Limited. By 1933, the business had become known as Shewan & Son. Alexander Shewan also served as a representative for Brandon's Board of Trade and was involved in local politics.
Alexander Shewan married Catherine Rachel Malcolm (1869-1946) in 1892. Catherine's father, James Malcolm (1835-1901), was a teacher and clergyman from Scotland. He was educated and taught in both Scotland and Ontario. When Catherine was a child, he worked as a Presbyterian reverend.
Alexander and Catherine Shewan had five children: Oliver Middleton (1894 - 1894), Audrey Bell (1896-1897),Muriel Hargrave (1899-1990), Malcolm Wardlaw (1906-1980), and Lloyd Douglas (1898-1954). Joyce Shewan (nee Marcino), who donated the Shewan Collection to Daly House Museum, was the wife of Keith Shewan (1943-2001). Keith was the grandchild of Alexander and Catherine Shewan and the son of Malcolm Wardlaw Shewan.
The material was donated to Daly House Museum by Joyce Shewan in 2005. She is the wife of the late Keith Shewan, grandson to Alexander and Catherine Shewan. The collection is now stored in the Magnacca Research centre at Daly House.
Scope and content
The collection consists of material created by and belonging to the Shewan and Malcolm families. Materials include one photograph, one certificate, books, handwritten letters, and other handwritten notes. There are multiple cookbooks, a family Bible, a personal notebook, a book of poetry, and other religious texts. The majority of the handwritten letters belonged to Catherine Shewan (nee Malcolm), and discuss the genealogy of the Malcolm family. Other handwritten materials include testimonials to the teaching ability of James Malcolm. Each item is described in detail at the individual level on the Daly House Museum database.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The collection includes accession numbers 2005.17.1 to 2005.17.23 and 1995.868.84 to 101.
Items 1 - 19; 21 - 22 are located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the main room (middle shelving unit, shelf 4, right).
Item 20 is located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the library (south shelving unit, top right).
Item 23 is located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the file room (row 5, shelf 1).
Items 84 - 90 are located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the main room (middle shelving unit, shelf 4, right).
Item 92 is located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the library (north shelf, top).
Item 100 is located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the file room (row 4, shelf 2)
Item 101 is located on the third floor of Daly House Museum in the main room in the 3FM cabinet 2 (north wall).