Fonds Accession: 2000 - 10 - 24. - John William Matheson fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John William Matheson fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA DRL Accession: 2000 - 10 - 24.

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • [1899 - 1945] (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

4 cm textual material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

John William Matheson was born in 1864, the son of John P. Matheson and Anne Fraser, and the nephew of Archbishop Samuel P. Matheson. His first Parish was St. Andrew's Church, St. Andrews, Manitoba, where he served from 1891 to 1894. He was ordained in 1899.After his tenure at St. Andrew's, Matheson and his family moved to Souris where he was Rector and Rural Dean until 1901. He also took the Parish at Oak Point during the summers around this time. He became a lecturer at St. John's College in Winnipeg in 1905 and continued to hold that position until his retirement in 1945. From 1905 to 1922, he was a professor of Pastoral Theology and from 1922 to 1934 he was Dean of Rupert's Land and Professor of Ecclesiastical History and Liturgy. He also taught Latin, Hebrew and Greek. He was appointed Canon at St. John's Cathedral in 1910, and named Dean in 1922. John William Matheson died in 1947. He married Mary Metcalf Anderson in 1892, and they had five children: Kathleen, Beatrice, Agnes ,John, and William.

Custodial history

The records of Dean J.W. Matheson came to the Diocesan archives as part of a transfer of records from the family in 2000.

Scope and content

The surviving records of Dean J.W. Matheson include undated sermons. Research File.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See the Samuel Pritchard Matheson fonds for further information on the Matheson family.See also the records of St. John's Cathedral (W.001)

Related materials


No further accruals are expected.

Language of material note

The material is in English.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres