John William Matheson

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

John William Matheson

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

John William Matheson was born in 1864, the son of John P. Matheson and Anne Fraser, and the nephew of Archbishop Samuel P. Matheson. His first Parish was St. Andrew's Church, St. Andrews, Manitoba, where he served from 1891 to 1894. He was ordained in 1899.After his tenure at St. Andrew's, Matheson and his family moved to Souris where he was Rector and Rural Dean until 1901. He also took the Parish at Oak Point during the summers around this time. He became a lecturer at St. John's College in Winnipeg in 1905 and continued to hold that position until his retirement in 1945. From 1905 to 1922, he was a professor of Pastoral Theology and from 1922 to 1934 he was Dean of Rupert's Land and Professor of Ecclesiastical History and Liturgy. He also taught Latin, Hebrew and Greek. He was appointed Canon at St. John's Cathedral in 1910, and named Dean in 1922. John William Matheson died in 1947. He married Mary Metcalf Anderson in 1892, and they had five children: Kathleen, Beatrice, Agnes ,John, and William.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC