Collection 2000.974; 2007.8 - Coldwell - Marsden Collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Coldwell - Marsden Collection

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Collection

Repository

Reference code

CA DHM 2000.974; 2007.8

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1875-1948 (Creation)
    Creator
    Coldwell - Marsden Family

Physical description area

Physical description

79 photographs
1 map

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1858-1950)

Biographical history

George Robson Coldwell and his sister, Phoebe Jane Coldwell, were both early residents of Brandon, Manitoba. They were born in Ontario to English parents, William Edward Coldwell (1832-1899) and Mary Robson (1824-1900), moving to Manitoba between the years 1882 and 1900.

George R. Coldwell (1858-1924) moved to Manitoba in 1882 and became a lawyer in the city of Brandon. He was a prominent figure in both local and provincial politics, serving on the Brandon City Council from 1888 to 1908. In 1907, he was elected into the Manitoba Legislature and served as the province's first minister of education. In 1883, George R. Coldwell married Eliza Anne (Annie) Anderson (1858-1953) of Churchville, Ontario. Annie Coldwell was also an active member of the Brandon community. During World War I, she was involved in both the Queen Mary's Needlework Guild and the Red Cross Society. George R. and Annie Coldwell had seven children: William Edward Coldwell (1887-1951), Mary Elizabeth Coldwell (1888-1951, wife of Charles Gould Washbon), George Alfred Coldwell (1891-1944), Thomas Coldwell (1893-1974), John Robson Coldwell (1896-1958), Victoria Ann Coldwell (1898), and Robert Henry Coldwell (1901). The family lived at 122 18th Street in Brandon from 1896 to 1924. Their former residence is now the site of the Daly House Museum.

Phoebe Jane Coldwell (1866-1950) moved to Brandon around the time of her marriage in 1900. Her husband was a farmer named George William Marsden (1866-1940). He was born in England and immigrated to Canada c.1890. The Marsden family had six children: Annette M. Marsden (1901-1903), John E. Coldwell Marsden (1902-1942), Constance M. Marsden (1904-1980, married Robert G. Mathieson), Laura Marsden (1905-1908), Sybil W. Marsden (1907-1990, married Joseph Ray), and Philip George W. Marsden (1910-1992, married Eileen M. Bates). Members of the Marsden family, including Phoebe Jane Marsden and Constance Mathieson (nee Marsden), later lived in British Colombia.

Custodial history

The collection was donated to Daly House Museum by John B. Marsden (1944 - ) of Victoria, British Columbia. His father was Philip George William Marsden (1910-1992), the son of Phoebe Jane Marsden (nee Coldwell). The map was donated in 2000 and the photographs in 2007. All materials are now housed at the Daly House Museum.

Scope and content

The collection consists of material belonging to the Coldwell-Marsden family. The material contains 79 reprints of photographs taken in Manitoba, British Colombia, and Ontario. The majority of the photographs are of family members and other relations. There are photographs of George R. and Annie Coldwell's family, as well as of Phoebe Jane Coldwell and George W. Marsden's family. These include photographs of their children and grandchildren. Also included in this collection are photographs of written notes (addresses, labels, etc.), as well as of furniture previously belonging to the G.R Coldwell family of Brandon. There is one map included in the collection. It is a 1928 copy of a plan for the city of Brandon originally drawn up in 1882. Items in this collection are described in detail at the individual level in the Daly House Museum database.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

2000.974.1 - map
2007.8.1 - 2007.8.79 - photographs

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres

physical storage

  • Box: DHM TFMR