Fonds 90-17 - John Black Memorial United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

John Black Memorial United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA 90-17

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1914-1990 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

.5m textual records, photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

John Black Memorial Church has existed in Winnipeg since 1914. Sunday School services were originally conducted in the district of East Kildonan in 1906. In April 1914, a public meeting was held in order to officially organize a Presbyterian congregation in the district. A few months later, the congregation chose the name 'John Black Memorial Church' in honour of Rev. John Black, one of first Presbyterian ministers of the west. By October 1914, the original church structure of the congregation was completed on Rossmere Avenue, on land donated by Mr. R. A. Ross. Dr. A. B. Baird conducted the first service in John Black Memorial Church. By the end of 1915, the congregation had called their first permanent minister and had both a Ladies Aid and a Women's Missionary Society established. In 1925, John Black Memorial Church joined the United Church of Canada. In August 1926, a devastating fire struck the church. Services were held in Lord Wolseley School and the Scottish Hall until a new building was erected in 1927 on Roberta Avenue. John Black Memorial United Church is presently located at 898 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Custodial history

The records of John Black Memorial Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records in 1990.

Scope and content

The surviving records of John Black Memorial Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1915-1965, Marriages, 1917-1982, and Burials, 1959-1977; Annual Reports, 1920-1990; and reference material, including photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres