Fonds PHO-C79 - Isabel McBeth fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Isabel McBeth fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CMC PHO-C79

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • [ca.1879]-1913 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 b&w photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Alexander McBeath (later McBeth), the donor's grandfather, settled the family's original Selkirk land grant by the shores of the Red River in 1815. The property was inherited by Alexander's grandson, Robert McBeth, who also built the substantial brick house which still stands on the property. The house then passed to Robert's sister, Catherine Helen (Isabel) McBeth. Catherine, born in 1895, was the youngest child of Robert and Helen Anderson McBeth. Robert and Helen were married in 1879. The famous Red River clergyman, the Rev. John Black, officiated. After graduating from the University of Manitoba in 1915, Catherine taught for more than 40 years, 32 of those years at Isaac Newton, from where she retired in 1957. In 1977, Catherine donated the McBeth house and the acreage it stands on to the city of Winnipeg. The house was extensively renovated in 1986 and is used as a seniors club and drop-in centre. Catherine died in 1987 at the age of 91.

Custodial history

These photographs were donated to the Dugald Costume Museum by Isabel McBeth in 1984.

Scope and content

The collection consists of: a black and white snapshot of a man, possibly the donor's brother, driving a horse and buggy, ca.1913; and a framed carte de visite of a man and woman, full length, identified as a wedding portrait of the donor's parents, ca.1879.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

There are no restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

No reproduction or publication without the permission of the Costume Museum of Canada.

Finding aids

The finding aids for these photographs are the catalogue cards for PHO-C79 and the photograph collection photocopies.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Edition

The snapshot measures 12 x 9 cm. The carte de visite measures approximately 6 x 10 cm and is encased in a fairly elaborate wooden shadow box frame.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres