Consecration of Reverend Maxim Hermaniuk as Auxiliary Bishop, led by Archbishop Basil Ladyka, on the altar of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba. Reverend Semen Izyk stands to the left of Bishop Isidore Borecki, who holds the mitre, left of Archbishop Ladyka.
Consecration of Reverend Maxim Hermaniuk as Auxiliary Bishop to Archbishop Basil Ladyka, Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 29, 1951. Archbishop Basil Ladyka stands before the altar, with Bishop Andrew Roborecki directly behind him, and Bishop Hermaniuk behind Bishop Andrew. There are seven prints depicting the consecration ceremony. This one alone bears some identification. Typed on the back, at the top edge of the print in Ukrainian is the description: "Consecration of Auxiliary Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk".
Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk celebrates Divine Liturgy in an outdoor setting, at Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, the day after his consecration as bishop. Present with him before the altar are several clergy, including Monsignor Wasyl Kushnir, in the foreground. Bishop Neil Savaryn stands left of centre, at the foot of the altar.
Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk performs his first Episcopal Divine Liturgy in an outdoor setting, at Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, the day after his consecration as bishop. He offers Holy Communion to the faithful in the field serving as the church, while the Apostolic Delegate to Canada kneels top left, with Bishop Neil Savaryn next to him, and Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) kneeling next to Bishop Neil. Monsignor Wasyl Kushnir stands to the right of the altar, while Bishop Andrew Roborecki kneels third from the left.
The series includes papers from the time Metropolitan Hermaniuk was appointed Bishop in Canada and throughout his religious career, spanning the anniversaries and milestones in his life. The documents are both official and personal, greetings, congratulations, and newspaper clippings.
The series records the interest Metropolitan Maxim took in the spiritual and cultural life of Ukrainian youth in Canada. It traces the development of the youth program guided by the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada, the evolution of St. Nicholas School in Winnipeg, Manitoba, into the Immaculate Heart of Mary School, the history of St. Vladimir's College in Roblin, Manitoba, and the emergence of Ukrainian Park, in the decades of Metropolitan Maxim's influence.
The series includes records of the efforts made to aid Ukrainians in Europe displaced by the Second World War. He helped organize the Committee's publication, Visti, with the aim to bolster the spiritual, social, and nationalist life of the refugees. Metropolitan Maxim's work in Belgium in aid of those dispossessed, continued from his new home in Canada.
"General front view of the new Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church in East Kildonan, Man. – From drawing of architect Rev. Canon Philip Ruh, O.M.I." Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church was designed by Father Ruh. The church was completed much to the original plan but details such as the pillars at the staircase, and the statue above the main entrance were not including. This is a copy of Philip Ruh Blue Print Collection PRBP071.1 to PRBP071.4 in Folder #15.
The new Ukrainian Catholic Church of The Holy Eucharist at East Kildonan, A.D. 1955. Holy Eucharist Ukrainian Catholic Church was designed by Father Ruh and begun in 1954. The builders deviated to a degree from Father Ruh’s recommendation by using more copper than on the domes alone, as he suggested, producing a church darker than he had preferred.