Showing 5315 results

archival descriptions
University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections
Print preview View:

1 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Hiebert, Brown Family fonds

  • CA UMASC UMASC Mss 386, Pc 333, Tc 171 (A.12-83)
  • Fonds
  • 1868 - 2007

The Hiebert, Brown Family fonds represents stories, experiences and contributions of three generations of a Mennonite-Northumberland family painting a vivid picture of life in Winnipeg, Manitoba in the first half of the 20th century. The fonds consists of biographical information on all members of the Hiebert, Brown family, their correspondence, scrapbooks, photographs, and newspaper clippings. Also included are Paul Hiebert's audio-recordings and a manuscript, "Willows Revisited" (1970); Wallace Brown's recollection of the Winnipeg General Strike (June 21, 1919); Catherine Brown's genealogical research material into the Hiebert-Brown family's roots; and material pertaining to Catherine Brown's cousin, Erdman Penner, a cartoonist for the Walt Disney Company from the 1930s to the 1950s.

Hiebert, Brown Family

Halyna and John Muchin fonds

  • CA UMASC UMASC Mss 365 (A.11-76)
  • Fonds
  • 1923 - 2007

The fonds consists of biographical information, Halyna Muchin's essays, articles and research material, Halyna and John Muchin's correspondence, and John Muchin's Canadiana Index Card Catalogue.

Muchin, Halyna

University of Manitoba Cyclotron Laboratory sous-fonds

  • CA UMASC UA 53 (A12-71)
  • Sous-fonds
  • 1957-1989

The Cyclotron Laboratory sous-fonds documents the research and construction of the cyclotron as well as additional changes over the project’s lifetime. The sous-fonds contains four series: Cyclotron Technical Drawings, Research Materials, a cyclotron drawing index and Photographs.

The cyclotron was conceptualized in 1957 when the head of the Physics Department, B.G. Whitmore, proposed the construction of a cyclotron at the University of Manitoba based on the prototype at the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA). With a $70,000 initial grant release, the construction began underneath the parking lot adjacent to the Allen Physics building on the Fort Garry Campus in 1959. Although the original proposal of the design was based on the UCLA cyclotron, almost all the design detail was completed by the staff at the University of Manitoba. The cyclotron vault, the shielding and the two experimental areas together occupied 5,000 square feet, while the control room and the electrical room took up another 2,000 square feet of floor area. The cyclotron was officially opened in 1965. It was the second cyclotron in Canada and the first in Western Canada.

The U of M cyclotron was considered a pioneer model of cyclotron design during that period, it being a spiral-ridge or sector-focused cyclotron. The sector-focused cyclotron is one of the most useful tools of nuclear physicists. Being the only negative hydrogen ion cyclotron operating between 20 MeV and 50 MeV in North America, it could generate beams of high quality and intensity in order to tackle some of the physics problems in atomic and subatomic physics that require such facilities. Axial injection was introduced to separate the ion source from the cyclotron itself, the source being housed in a building at ground level while the cyclotron was situated two floors below. This made it possible to improve the performance of the ion source and to develop a source of polarized ions without having to deal with the high radiation environment at the centre of the cyclotron.

Over the next two decades after the cyclotron opened, it attracted various physicists, engineers and students to the university to help assist with the project and made it a major turning point within the department.

In 1986, under the directorship of Dr. Jasper McKee, the cyclotron’s uses expanded to other areas of research other than nuclear physics. The Cyclotron Laboratory changed its name to Accelerator Centre to serve as the University Research Centre where interdisciplinary and applied research could be carried out in conjunction with external laboratories and/or the private sector. The Accelerator Centre ceased operation in 1989.

Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Manitoba

Faculty of Law

  • CA UMASC UA 43, PC 139, TC 87, MC 18 (A96-57, A96-85, A97-30, A13-104, A13-105, A13-106, A13-114, A13-115, A13-116, A13-117, A13-118)
  • Fonds
  • [ca.1860]-2011

The 1996 & 1997 accruals detail the formation of the University of Manitoba's Faculty of Law from its establishment as a course at the University of Manitoba in 1885, to the formation of the degree-granting Manitoba Law School, to the creation of the Faculty of Law. The records date from 1877 to 1998 and include textual records, photographs, sound recordings, video recordings, and cartographic material.
The 2013 accruals include 16.9 m of administrative and historical textual material. The photograph collection includes 8 slides, 236 negatives, 2450 photographs, 12 contact sheets, 3 compact discs, 2 filmstrips and 6 VHS video tapes. The tape collection includes 91 audio cassette tapes, 30 reel to reel audio tapes and 1 33rpm microgroove vinyl record.

Faculty of Law

Agassiz Centre for Water Studies fonds

  • CA UMASC UA 044
  • Fonds
  • 1966-1983

The records detail the early interest in water research on the campus of the University of Manitoba, how the Centre came to be created, how it carried out its activities, and what the consequences of its activities were. The fonds includes terms of reference, research proposals, minutes, and correspondence related to the Centre's creation and operation. There are also progress reports, financial statements and general ledger accounts, along with a variety of published and unpublished reports, conference proceedings and discussion materials.

Agassiz Centre for Water Studies

Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg fonds

  • CA UMASC Tc 79 (A.91-24)
  • Fonds
  • 1990-1991

The fonds consists of ten audio cassette tapes created by the Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg Oral History project 1990. Each tape contains oral interviews with club members and details their reasons for involvement in the club. Interviewees were all long-standing members of the club and included: Winona Hockley, a retired schoolteacher; Olive Flett, also a schoolteacher; Jenny Kirkness, a Winnipeg accountant and former president of the BPWCW; Jean Miller, a librarian; Ida Fenwick, an accountant and holder of several positions in the club's executive including honourary president; Frances Lovat, a secretary and former member of the club's executive; Mabel E. Kent, a stenographer and former secretary of the club; Jessie Buckingham, a schoolteacher; Irene Grant, the first married female schoolteacher in Manitoba; Marguerite Hargrave, a court reporter and member of several BPWCW committees; Lily Hobbs, a secretary for the federal Department of Agriculture; and Beatrice Deeks, who worked for the federal government's unemployment office and a former second vice-president of the club. Interviews were conducted by Kimberly Kappel, Deanna Mallen, and Carole Vann. The fonds also consists of printed summaries of the interviews, which are arranged chronologically.

Business and Professional Women's Club of Winnipeg

Franco-Manitoban Society / Société franco-manitobaine fonds

  • CA UMASC Tc 45 (A.82-21)
  • Fonds
  • 1975

The fonds consists of recordings of proceedings of a symposium held by the Franco-Manitoban Society at St. John's College on January 17-18, 1975. The symposium was sponsored by St. John's College, University of Manitoba. Robert Painchaud, who spoke at the January 1975 symposium, was a historian and professor at the University of Winnipeg. Painchaud spoke about the history of Franco-Manitobans, and their image and identity. Another speaker at the symposium was Father Laval Cloutier, principal of the College de St. Boniface, who spoke about bilingual education in Manitoba.

Société franco-manitobaine

Richard E. Bennett fonds

  • CA UMASC Tc 43 (A.80-07, A.89-04)
  • Fonds
  • 1980-1989

The fonds consists of five audio cassettes of interviews conducted by University of Manitoba archivist Richard E. Bennett. Interviewees include: C.E. L'Ami (January 31, 1980); Margaret Hamilton Bach who speaks about the psychical research of Thomas Glendenning Hamilton (November 26, 1980); John D. Mundie, professor of business administration, and dean of the Asper School of Business who speaks about the Faculty of Management at the University of Manitoba (November 25, 1986); and poet Anne Marriott (1913-1997) who is interviewed at her home in North Vancouver, B.C., (February 14, 1989).

Bennett, Richard Edmond

Dechene-May Indigenous Languages of Rupert's Land Collection

  • CA UMASC Tc 149 (A.02-18)
  • Collection
  • c. 1960s-1980s

The collection consists of ephemeral publications and audio recordings related to the Indigenous languages of Rupert's Land. Many of these were originally produced for language instruction and included teacher's manuals, readers, workbooks, curriculum guides, journals, reference materials, proceedings, and monographs. There are also materials published by missionary groups and religious societies for classroom teaching and services.

Dechene-May Indigenous Languages of Rupert's Land

Arthur Meighen fonds

  • CA UMASC TC 65 (A.82-35)
  • Fonds
  • 1936

The fonds consists of a 33 1/3 rpm phonograph record of a speech delivered before the Canadian Club of Toronto on February 24, 1936 by Arthur Meighen on the subject of William Shakespeare. It is entitled "The Greatest Englishman of History".

Meighen, Arthur

Results 1 to 10 of 5315