Showing 61 results

archival descriptions
Hermaniuk, Maxim, 1911-1996 Manitoba Image With digital objects
Print preview View:

Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1911-1996

The Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds is comprised of papers from all phases of his life, study, and vocation in Europe and in Canada. The textual material includes extensive studies of local, national, and international importance in wide-ranging areas of social interest; official documents of the pre-Vatican and Vatican II Councils; correspondence from the private to the official level throughout his lifetime; material tracing preparation for the Papal visit to Canada in 1984, and the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine celebrated in 1988; and numerous publications either written by Metropolitan Hermaniuk, or of interest to him.
The fonds is comprised of numerous reports, appeals, media articles, and documents both preliminary and officially created in the course of decision-making, in the course of guiding, supporting, teaching, and inspiring clergy as well as lay people in the Church. As the spiritual and administrative head of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada and an influential participant in the councils of Vatican II, Metropolitan Hermaniuk lived through a time of change at the highest levels, illustrated by his papers. Spanning much of the twentieth century, the papers at the same time extraordinarily document life itself, especially during the last half of that century

Hermaniuk, Maxim, 1911-1996

Arrival for Consecration of Bishop Hermaniuk

The procession of clergy is entering Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, for the consecration of Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk as Auxiliary Bishop to Archbishop Basil Ladyka, led at this point by Reverend Semen Izyk, and followed closely by Bishop Maxim. Bishop Andrew Roberecki, Bishop Isidore Borecki, Monsignor Wasyl Kushnir, and the Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Ildebrando Antoniutti cross the street, a distance behind.

Consecration of Bishop Maxim

Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk is holding the chalice during his consecration at Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 29, 1951, with Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) on the left, Bishop Andrew Roberecki on the right, and several other clergy with him near the altar. Bishop Maxim has described the photo in his handwriting, in Ukrainian, on the back.

Consecration of B. Maxim

Consecration of Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk, Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 29, 1951. Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) is seated on the left of centre in the photo, Bishop Andrew Roborecki on the right. Archbishop Basil Ladyka appears to be seated in front of the altar, with several other clergy members also participating. Bishop Maxim has described the photo in his hand in Ukrainian on the back.

Liturgical Celebration

Interior of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, with lay young men and women in the altar area, with servers, two clergy, and Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk standing by the sanctuary. The church is filled with faithful.

Consecration of Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk

During the Consecration ceremony of Maxim Hermaniuk as Auxiliary Bishop for Archbishop Basil Ladyka, Bishop Neil Savaryn stands to the right, behind the Apostolic Delegate. Proceeding around the altar of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 29, 1951. Bishop Hermaniuk leads, followed by Bishop Andrew Roberecki, and Archbishop Basil Ladyka.

Consecration of Bishop Hermaniuk, CSsR

Now consecrated Auxiliary Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk stands before the altar of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, while Bishop Andrew Roborecki stands on the right and Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) stands on the left, each holding his rabdos poimantike. June 29, 1951.

Bishop Hermaniuk's First Episcopal Divine Liturgy

Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk celebrates Divine Liturgy in an outdoor setting, at Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, the day after his consecration as bishop. On the left is the Apostolic Delegate to Canada, Archbishop Ildebrando Antoniuuti.

Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk, Episcopal Divine Liturgy

Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk performs his first Episcopal Divine Liturgy in an outdoor setting, at Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, the day after his consecration as bishop. Present with him before the altar are several clergy. Bishop Maxim identifies the event in his hand-writing, in Ukrainian, on the back of two black and white prints, each in excellent condition. MMHP0056i is dated June 30, 1951. MMHP0056ii is dated July 1, 1951.

Results 1 to 10 of 61