Showing 48 results

archival descriptions
Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds Manitoba With digital objects
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1911-1996

The Metropolitan Maxim Hermaniuk fonds is comprised of papers from all phases of his life, study, and vocation in Europe and in Canada. The textual material includes extensive studies of local, national, and international importance in wide-ranging areas of social interest; official documents of the pre-Vatican and Vatican II Councils; correspondence from the private to the official level throughout his lifetime; material tracing preparation for the Papal visit to Canada in 1984, and the Millennium of Christianity in Ukraine celebrated in 1988; and numerous publications either written by Metropolitan Hermaniuk, or of interest to him.
The fonds is comprised of numerous reports, appeals, media articles, and documents both preliminary and officially created in the course of decision-making, in the course of guiding, supporting, teaching, and inspiring clergy as well as lay people in the Church. As the spiritual and administrative head of the Ukrainian Catholic Church in Canada and an influential participant in the councils of Vatican II, Metropolitan Hermaniuk lived through a time of change at the highest levels, illustrated by his papers. Spanning much of the twentieth century, the papers at the same time extraordinarily document life itself, especially during the last half of that century

Hermaniuk, Maxim, 1911-1996

Rev. Joseph Pulak and First Communion Class

Father Joseph Pulak with students, including the Holy Communion class of the Nativity of the Mother of God Ukrainian Catholic Church in Brandon, Manitoba, August 13, 1937. The church was known at the time as St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church. Black and white print in good condition with the photographer's stamp on the back.

Rev. Joseph Pulak and First Communion Class, Brandon

Father Joseph Pulak with the Holy Communion class of the Nativity of the Mother of God Ukrainian Catholic Church in Brandon, Manitoba. The church was known at the time as St. Mary's Ukrainian Catholic Church. Black and white print in good condition, with the photographer's stamp on the back.

Cook's Creek Church

Known at the time as St. John the Baptist Ukrainian Catholic Church, Reverend Philip Ruh, OMI, has written on the back of the black and white photo postcard: "Cook's Creek - Church. Taken from - South-west, together with the front-fence and the belltower...Artificial." Cook's Creek, Manitoba, 1947.

Consecration of Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk, CSsR

Archbishop Basil Ladyka elevates candles as he stands before the altar of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, during the consecration of Auxiliary Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk, who holds the poimantike rabdos, and stands to the left of Archbishop Basil. Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky), also holding his rabdos and wearing his mitre, stands behind Bishop Andrew Roborecki who holds his rabdos, with no mitre. Reverend Semen Izyk stands at the right of the clergy around the altar. June 29, 1951.

Bishop Maxim's First Episcopal Liturgy

Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk celebrates Divine Liturgy in an outdoor setting, at Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, 965 Boyd Avnue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, the day after his consecration as bishop. Present with him before the altar are several clergy, including Monsignor Wasyl Kushnir. Black and white print, in triplicate, is in excellent condition. Prints MMHP0053i and MMHP0053ii bear Bishop Maxim's hand-writing in Ukrainian. MMHP0053i says the photo is of a bishops' conference and of the first Archeparchial Divine Liturgy held in Winnipeg, Manitoba, July 1, 1951. MMHP0053ii agrees that the event is the bishops' conference and the first Archeparchial Divine Liturgy, but adds this is the first Divine Liturgy for Bishop Hermaniuk, citing the date as June 30, 1951.

B. Maxim Hermaniuk's First Episcopal Divine Liturgy

Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk enters the church yard as he leads the procession to Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, 965 Boyd Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, after (?) celebrating Divine Liturgy in an open field the day after his consecration as bishop.

Results 1 to 10 of 48