Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk stands before the crowd in front of Blessed Virgin Mary (Prokova) Ukrainian Catholic Church, 965 Boyd Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, the day after Bishop Hermaniuk was consecrated as bishop. Several clergy, including Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) are also present in front of the church.
The digitized material from the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg fonds consists of two items: firstly, an article written by Gloria Romaniuk, Archivist for the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Winnipeg Archives, that was published in Progress Ukrainian Catholic News. The article tells the story of the stone from Lourdes, France, and how it came to be installed in the Cook’s Creek Grotto, in Manitoba. The article is illustrated by archival and recent photos, including photos of two members of St. Josaphat Council # 4138, Knights of Columbus, who were instrumental in obtaining the stone from Lourdes.
Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk is holding the chalice during his consecration at Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 29, 1951, with Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) on the left, Bishop Andrew Roberecki on the right, and several other clergy with him near the altar. Bishop Maxim has described the photo in his handwriting, in Ukrainian, on the back.
Consecration of Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk, Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 29, 1951. Bishop Isidore Borecki (Borecky) is seated on the left of centre in the photo, Bishop Andrew Roborecki on the right. Archbishop Basil Ladyka appears to be seated in front of the altar, with several other clergy members also participating. Bishop Maxim has described the photo in his hand in Ukrainian on the back.
Interior of Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral, Winnipeg, Manitoba, with lay young men and women in the altar area, with servers, two clergy, and Bishop Maxim Hermaniuk standing by the sanctuary. The church is filled with faithful.
Crowd bearing flags and banners in the field near Blessed Virgin Mary (Pokrova) Church, 965 Boyd Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba, June 30, 1951, for Bishop Maxim's first celebration of the Divine Liturgy as bishop.
Gathering of clergy at train station in Winnipeg, Manitoba, c.1950, with Bishop Basil Ladyka in centre, Eugène Cardinal Tisserant right of him, Bishop Neil Savaryn next right. Reverend Joseph Pulak stands at the far left; Reverend Stefan Semchuk is fourth from the left; Monsignor Wasyl Kushnir is fifth from the left.
Metropolitan Andrij Sheptytckyj (Andrei Sheptytskyj) with Reverend Lev Sembrayovych in Winnipeg, Manitoba, during the Metropolitan's second visit to Canada. The back of the card bears identification written in pencil.