Reprint of the west side of 6th Street, Brandon, Manitoba looking north. Businesses in the image, from left to right, are: Winter & O'Neill (general store), James A. Smart (hardware), Grand Central Hotel (built 1882, razed 1890 to make space for new development) , Americal House (hotel), and Brandon House (hotel). In front of the buildings there are people with horse drawn wagons.
Photograph of a train carrying settlers from South Dakota. The train is stopped with people standing on top and in front. Bound for the Canadian North-West, this CPR train arrived in Winnipeg on May 1st, 1891. The following messages were written on the sides of the train: "Good-bye South Dakota. Bound for the Canadian North-West. Free land. Plenty of timber. Pure water. No more 2 bushels per acre. No more opaline fuel. No more 5 mile water haul. No more grinding machine agents. Hurrah for Canada."
The collection consists of records created by the Assiniboine Historical Society. The records include, photographs and other historical documents from the Brandon area; meeting minutes; financial records; correspondence records; heritage publications; film committee and street name committee documents; a constitution; documents relating to the Manitoba Historical Society; walking tour documents; and some miscellaneous files. The documents are arranged in the following series:
Early photograph of Pacific Avenue, Brandon. The photograph shows the office and yard of Barclay & O'Hara: Dealers in Lumber and Coal at 704 Pacific Avenue. In front are people with horses and wagons. To the left is the Western Canada Loan & Savings Co. (appraiser, E. J. Barclay). To the far right is possibly the Farmer's Home Hotel.