Title and statement of responsibility area
Inauguration of the Brandon Municipal Railway
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Construction for a municipally owned streetcar system in Brandon began in 1910. Managing the construction were the City Engineer, Mr. Speakman, the Master Tracklayer, Mr. David Heately, and the Timekeeper, Mr. William Wakefield. The majority of the construction crew consisted of recent immigrants from Poland and Galicia. The mayor at this time was John W. Fleming. The street railway was completed in June of 1913 time for the last Dominion Fair in Brandon. The Brandon Municipal Railway ran until 1931 when its operation was suspended. It was shut down indefinitely in 1932.
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DHM 1978.14-12
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- W.A. Martel & Sons
Physical description area
Black and white photograph. 14.5" x 12.5"
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Born in New York City on 1 December 1851, William Angus Martel and his wife Theresa had three children, all of whom worked with him in the photography business: Isabel Martel (b 1872), William Angus Martel (1875-1958), and Frank A. Martel (b 1881). Around 1898, they came to Manitoba and established a photography business at Brandon, with a satellite studio at Morden, relocating later to Winnipeg. The Martels eventually moved to Los Angeles, California where W. A. Martel opened a studio.
Donated to the Daly House Museum by the Assiniboine Hisotrical Society in 1978.
Scope and content
Photograph of a large crowd gathered outside of City Hall between 8th and 9th streets on Princess Avenue to view the official inauguration of the Brandon Municipal Railway.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Negative available at the Daly House Museum.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Researchers are responsible for copyright requirements.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description
Script of description
digital objects metadata
June 5, 2015 1:47 PM