Title and statement of responsibility area
Hungarian United Church fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA ACC. 2018-41
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1906 - 1916 (Creation)
- Hungarian United Church
Physical description area
.9 m of textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Hungarian Reformed Congregation was formed in 1906 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Until the First World War it was supported and had strong ties with the Reformed Church in Hungary. The Church struggled during and after the First World War, and requested to join with a larger protestant denomination. It became part of the Presbyterian Church, and later became a Home Mission charge of the United Church of Canada.
In the 1920s and 1930s, the Mission was housed first in the McDougall Memorial United Church on Main St., then Point Douglas United Church, and finally in a building bought on Wellington and Victor, which was sold in 1945. From 1945 to 1956, a house (280 Young St.) was bought and served as Church and manse. The arrival of Hungarian refugees to Winnipeg in 1956 had a tremendously significant impact on the life and demographics of the Church.
From 1956 to 1960, the Church was housed at the Sunday School Hall of Young United Church on Broadway. In 1961, the Fort Garry United Church donated their old building to the Hungarian United Church located at Brandon and Nassau. The Church building was expropriated in 1968 by the city of Winnipeg for their bus garage. From 1968 to 1970, the Church was housed at Rosedale United Church. From 1970 to 2014, the Church was located at 732 Ellice Ave. In 2014, the Church building on Ellice was sold, and the congregation was housed at St. Andrew’s River Heights.
The Hungarian United Church was part of the United Church Ethnic Ministries Council. For many years, the Church was an active participant of Folkorama. The Church had close tries with other Hungarian cultural and religious organizations in Winnipeg.
The Hungarian United Church disbanded in 2016.
The records (acc. 2018-41) were donated to the Archives in October 2018 by Rozaila Kovacs, a member of the congregation, who had stored them in her house since the congregation disbanded.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of baptism, marriage, and burial registers; communion rolls and membership lists; minutes of annual meetings, the Board, the Independent Hungarian Club, the Ladies Aid, [United Church Women?], and committees; newsletters and annual reports; constitution; histories; Church bulletins; social notices and event guestbooks; and correspondence related to Church work, Hungarian Diaspora, Hungarian Cultural Associations, and Hungarian refugees.
Immediate source of acquisition
Records arrived at the Archives with minimal order. Order was maintained where possible and records were arranged by archivist when necessary. Published material not created by HUC, duplicates, and transitory records were removed from fonds.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some records is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and file level inventory available.
Uploaded finding aid
Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created: March 26, 2019
Added to MAIN: July 24, 2019
Language of description