Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Hubicz, Edward, 1912-1999
Parallel form(s) of name
- Edward Michael Hubicz
- E.M. Hubicz
- Edward Michal Hubicz
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Edward Michael Hubicz was born in September 25, 1912, in Bodzanow, Poland, to Michal Hubicz and Petronella Wroblonski. The Hubicz family immigrated to Canada in April 1913.
Hubicz attended St. John Cantius Parish School, Lord Nelson School, and Isaac Newton School in Winnipeg. In 1929, Hubicz attended St. John’s College in St. Jean, Quebec. In 1935, he entered the Poznan Diocesan Seminary in Poland and was ordained as a subdeacon, followed by a year at St. Augustine’s Seminary in Toronto, Ontario. He was ordained into priesthood on July 16, 1939 at the Archdiocese of Winnipeg, giving his first Mass at St. John Cantius Church. Throughout his career, he served in the following roles:
- Parochial Vicar at Holy Trinity, Sifton (1939)
- Parochial Vicar at St. John Cantius, Winnipeg (1940-43)
- Pastor at Sts. Peter and Paul, Pine River (1943-44)
- Pastor at Corpus Christi, Winnipegosis (1944-49)
- Pastor at St. Michael’s Church, Gimli
- Pastor at Our Lady of the Lake, Winnipeg Beach (1956-67)
- Pastor at St. John Cantius, Winnipeg (1967-85).
- Chaplain to the Missionary Oblate Sisters of Mary Immaculate
- Chaplain to Sisters of St. Benedict
- Chaplain to Sisters of the Holy Names.
- Vice Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Winnipeg (1951-1952)
- Chancellor (1952-56) Director of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine
- Defender of the Bond, Marriage Tribunal (1952-68).
- Vicar General during the absence of the Cardinal in 1969.
Hubicz was a member of the Polish Priests' Association in Canada (CPAC) and the original Millennium Committee (later, Millennium Fund).
Hubicz was appointed as a Prelate of Honour by Pope Paul VI, and was invested by George Bernard Cardinal Flahiff in 1974.
Hubicz retired from active ministry on August 3, 1985. He authored three books: “The History of Our Lady of the Lake Church” (1956), “Father Joe: A Manitoban Missionary” (1958), and “Polish Churches in Manitoba” (1960). He also published an article in the Manitoba Pageant titled “First Polish Settlers in Manitoba” (April 1957).
Edward M. Hubicz died in Winnipeg on November 19, 1999, and was buried at Assumption Cemetery.
St. Jean, Quebec
Pine River, Manitoba
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
The authority record was created in 2019 and uploaded in March 2020.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, November 20, 1999. https://passages.winnipegfreepress.com/passage-details/id-48049/HUBICZ_EDWARD
Goldsborough, Gordon, Manitoba Historical Society, “Memorable Manitobans: Edward M. Hubicz,” http://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/people/hubicz_em.shtml.