Item 12 - Hotel Cecil

Open original digital objects

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hotel Cecil

General material designation

  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Repository

Reference code

CA DHM 1990.542-12

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • Unknown (Creation)
    Place
    Brandon (Man.)

Physical description area

Physical description

3.25" x 2.75" (b/w)

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Custodial history

Donated to the Daly House Museum by the 26th Field Artillery Regiment Museum in 1990.

Scope and content

Photograph of Hotel Cecil in Brandon, Manitoba.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

History:The Hotel Cecil was located at 32 10th Street in Brandon, Manitoba. It was designed by Brandon Architect W.A. Elliot and built in 1910. The official opening of the hotel was marked by a banquet, hosted by owner Harry Johnson, on the evening of March 2, 1911. The event was attended by 75-100 guests who were treated to a meal in the hotel dining room and a tour of the building. The Hotel Cecil was the first in Brandon to be equipped with a private branch telephone exchange. This system provided hotel guests with the convenience of a telephone in each room, operated by a switchboard located at the front desk. The Brandon Weekly Sun said of the system: “one of the newest innovations in the way of a public convenience [which] must result in impressing visitors very favorably with this city as a progressive and rapidly growing centre.” The hotel was closed by owner Mike Melnyk in March, 1981 and it was to come under new ownership as of September 1 but the building was destroyed by fire on August 31.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

1990.542.4.12

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

Script of description

Sources

digital objects (Master) rights area

digital objects (Reference) rights area

digital objects (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres