Title and statement of responsibility area
Hodgson, St Philip fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.040
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1918 - 1994 (Creation)
Physical description area
6.5 cm textual material
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St Philip's Anglican Church is located in the community of Hodgson, in the Rural Municipality of Fisher, 90 miles north of Winnipeg. The Rev Maurice Sanderson was sent to the Peguis area and held services in private homes during the early years of the mission. Hodgson first appears in the 1913 Synod Journal, and fundraising for a church building began during the First World War. A Mrs Nosworthy from Liverpool, England made a financial contribution to the new church in memory of her son Philip, who was to have been a missionary in Northwest Canada before he was killed in the First World War. The church, built between 1919 and 1920, was named St Philip in his honour. Originally, the church was built on posts, but a rock foundation was installed after the foundation collapsed during a well attended funeral. A tabernacle was built later by a Mrs O'Malley. The first service at St Philip's was held on February 8, 1920. It has always been associated with Peguis (OW.068), and the mission has also included Fisherton (OW.029) and Marble Ridge. The church building has served other denominations and faiths over the years.
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1990 and 1995.
Scope and content
The records of St Philip, Hodgson held at the Diocese of Rupert's Land archives include: Canonical Documents (1918-1994); Titles (1918-1994); Sacramental registers (1920-1988); Record of Services (1920-1971); and records of the Ladies Aid (1928-1931). Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Registers are available in microfilm. (Rolls #4 and #5).
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish Registers is limited to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also Peguis (OW.068); St John, Fisherton (OW.029); and the Manuscript Papers of Maurice Sanderson (M.34)
Associated material: Ecclesiastical Province of Rupert's Land (Accession: DRL-84-62; DRL 84-72).
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description