Fonds Location: volume 355 - Hillside Community Church fonds.

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hillside Community Church fonds.

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CMBS Location: volume 355

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1943-1985 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1943, an unnamed Christian teacher at the South Otter Elementary School believed there was a need for religious education in the community. She shared her thoughts with a stranger, Miss Hilda Neufeld, on a streetcar in Vancouver. Miss Neufeld wrote a letter to Rev. Abe Stobbe from the South Abbotsford Mennonite Brethren Church who was working with the West Coast Children's Mission at the time. As a result of this contact the Mission went to the Langley School District and asked if they could use the South Otter Elementary School for teaching boys and girls about Jesus in Aldergrove, B.C. In the fall of 1943 Elmer Warkentin and his sister, Leslie Buehler, began a Sunday school with the help of people from the South Abbotsford congregation. Due to vandalism of the school the Sunday school was relocated to the Cesar Anderlini home. Soon a weekly prayer meeting was held for the people of the community, led by congregational members from the South Abbotsford and McCullum Mennonite Brethren Churches. In 1949 regular services as well as the previously established morning services began in the Anderlini home with Rev. Abe Stobbe leading. In 1951 a mission hall was constructed under the direction of the West Coast Children's Mission on property that was donated by Mr. Anderlini that was just south of the Anderlini home. George Konrad and John H. Enns conducted the worship services and Sunday school classes upon its completion. In February 1959 Mr. Anderlini donated more property for an expansion, and Rev. Jake Neufeld took on the responsibility as pastor. In March 1960, the old chapel was remodeled and was used as the parsonage. Victor Stobbe took on the responsibility of the church in April 1962 and in 1963, the church was accepted into the B.C. and the General Conference of churches. On July 30, 1967, the Victor Stobbe was ordained to the ministry. Following the Stobbe's departure in 1967, Rev. Calvin Buehler pastored the church from September 1967 until June 1971. In 1971 the church was extend 16 feet. Rev. Herman Voth came to the pastorate from July 1971 to June 1975. In August 1975, Rev. Dave Esau came to minister at South Otter and again it was time to expand. This time the church decided to build a new sanctuary linked to the west end of the existing building. On May 4, 1980 the new sanctuary was dedicated. After Dave Esau left in 1982, in September Carl Bracewell took on role as lead pastor. In 1987 the church experienced significant difficulties and the membership dropped from 50 to 16. At this time the church changed it's name from South Otter MB Church to Hillside Community Church. As of 2004 there were 27 members with attendance being around 65. Leaders of the congregation included the following: Jake Neufeld (1959-1962), Victor Stobbe (1962-1967), Calvin Buehler (1967-1971), Herman Voth (1971-1975), Dave Esau (1975-1982), Carl Bracewell (1982-1986), Vic Peters (1987-1993), Bill Keyes (1993- ).

Custodial history

It is unclear when the records came to the archives.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of a brief historical sketch of the South Otter Mennonite Brethren Gospel Church up to 1985 and bulletins from 1985 and 1986.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Description by Shauna Hudson, May 26, 2004, edited by Conrad Stoesz November 14, 2006.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid consists of a file list

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres