Fonds Volume 602 - Hillside Christian Fellowship Church, Beechy, Saskatchewan Fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Hillside Christian Fellowship Church, Beechy, Saskatchewan Fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA CMBS Volume 602

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1977-2002 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The first Mennonites in Beechy, Saskatchewan were 1920s immigrants from Russia. When they first arrived in Canada, they settled in the Main Centre, Saskatchewan area, but eventually moved north of the Saskatchewan River in search of land. The Mennonite Brethren church in Beechy organized on July 19, 1925, as an offshoot of the Main Centre MB church. By 1927, the Beechy group had organized as an independent congregation called the Friedensheim Mennonite Brethren Church. Early on, the congregation met in Homaker's Hall, which formerly served as a schoolhouse. On most Sundays, however, the congregation divided into small groups and met in homes. The Depression stalled plans for a new church building. But in 1942, the Beechy congregation purchased a town hall, formerly used by the Mennonite Brethren congregation in Gilroy. The building was dismantled, transported to a section of land just outside of Beechy, and then used to construct a new church building. The building was moved to town in 1953, when the church became known as the Beechy Mennonite Brethren Church. Renovations to the building occurred in 1969 and again in 1975-6. In 1982, a new 10,000 sq. ft. building was constructed largely with volunteer labour. Again, with the new building came a new name, Hillside Christian Fellowship Centre. Until 1963, lay-ministers and leaders led the congregation. Henry Berg was Beechy's first hired minister, serving from 1963 to 1966. After Berg, the congregation was served by a variety of other paid ministers, many of whom also served the Mennonite Brethren church at Lucky Lake. These include the following: Ed Lautermilch (1966-1969), Ed Epp (1969-1973), Ed Giesbrecht (1973-1976), Helmut Schroeder (1977-1987), and Mike Housek (1987-). Sources: Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Friedensheim;" Mennonite Brethren Herald (10 September 1982): 12; (27 May 1988): 63.

Custodial history

The materials were donated by the church ca. 1977 and 2003. The historical sketch (file 1) was written in the 1970s by the Centre's staff.

Scope and content

This fonds consists of one series: 1) Beechy Mennonite Brethren history. The historical writings tell the story of the congregation's organization, buildings, ministry, and special events. They also include family stories and several selections from early church minutes.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

no restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

finding aid consists of a file list

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres