Title and statement of responsibility area
High Bluff Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1874 - 1924 (Creation)
Physical description area
11 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
High Bluff /Zion Methodist Church was a Wesleyan Methodist church first organized by Rev. George Young, with the first services held in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Angus Smith in 1868. Rev. Young asked this new congregation to cut and deliver wood needed to build Grace Church in Winnipeg. A small church in High Bluff was built in approximately 1869. The High Bluff Mission Circuit included High Bluff, Poplar Point, and Gowler's. Portage la Prairie was added in 1874. Poplar Point was removed and Rat Creek added in 1875, followed by the addition of Portage Creek and North High Bluff in 1877-78. The field divided in 1878 and High Bluff, Poplar Point, Gowler's and North High Bluff became one circuit. That same year, a parsonage was built near the church on the Moss farm on Thomas Wark's property next to the cemetery. The congregation built another church in the new village of High Bluff in 1884. Flee Island was added to the charge in 1886, and in 1889 Poplar Point was removed, and Portage Creek added. A lot purchased from Mr. M. Owens enabled the parsonage to move into the village as well in 1890. A Local Union was formed before officially joining the United Church of Canada in 1925 to become High Bluff United Church. Following the formation of High Bluff United Church, the former Methodist church was sold in 1935. The parsonage was sold to a Louisa Greenlay and converted to a private residence.
The records of the High Bluff /Zion Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives - Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of two transfers of records from the High Bluff /Oakland charge in 1979 and 1992; and from the Manitoba Archives in 2000.
Scope and content
The surviving records of the High Bluff Zion Methodist Church include: records of the Sunday School (1885-1887 and 1896-1902) (Note: years between 1898-1902 missing); records of the Methodist circuit, including minutes and financial records (1903-1914); records of the Zion Methodist Trustees, including minutes (1884-1924); Sacramental registers, pertaining to Baptisms, Marriages and Burials (1879-1881).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description