Fonds 81-26; 83-10; 91-30 - Harstone Memorial United Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Harstone Memorial United Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA 81-26; 83-10; 91-30

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1945-1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

2m textual material, other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Harstone Memorial United Church existed in Winnipeg from 1947 until 1991. The predecessor of Harstone Memorial United Church was the Sargent Avenue United Church (c.1946). Sargent Avenue United Church was constructed in 1946 on the corner of Sargent Avenue and Ingersoll Street. The land had been purchased by the Board of Home Missions from the city of Winnipeg in 1943. The congregation of Sargent Avenue United Church chose to adopt the name 'Harstone Memorial' in 1947 to honour one of its founding members, F. S. Harstone. The Harstone congregation organized a 'superstructure' committee in 1949 devoted to expanding church space and in 1951, a new sanctuary was dedicated. The Harstone congregation also dedicated a Christian Education wing in 1965. With the resignation of their minister in 1990 and with declining membership and community support, the congregation of Harstone Memorial United Church was forced to dissolve in 1991. Rev. Garry Loewen held the final services in Harstone Memorial United Church on June 23, 1991.

Custodial history

The records of Harstone Memorial United Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records between 1981 and 1991.

Scope and content

The surviving records of Harstone Memorial United Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1946-1991, Marriages, 1947-1991, and Burials, 1946-1991; Membership Rolls and records of the Session, including communion rolls and minutes, 1946-1991; records of the Official Board, including minutes, 1946-1991; records of Annual Congregation Meetings and Annual Reports, 1946-1990; records pertaining to the Board of Stewards and church property, including minutes, 1946-1991; records of lay associations, including the Women's Missionary Society and United Church Women, 1945-1991; and reference material, including newsletters/bulletins, architectural plans, church history, guest books and photographs.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Some restrictions may apply.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid and item level inventory available.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres