Title and statement of responsibility area
Gypsumville Community Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 81 - 14; Ex - 32; 82 - 8; 93 - 35
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1929 - 1973 (Creation)
Physical description area
17 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Gypsumville Community Church has existed in the Manitoba community of Gypsumville, located northwest of Lake St. Martin, since 1933. Margaret Mustard and Annette Sinclair, both Registered Nurses, sponsored by the Woman's Missionary Society, arrived in Gypsumville in November of 1929 to provide both medical and spiritual services to the community. The Anglican minister from Fairford and student ministers from the Baptist, Anglican and Presbyterian Churches also occasionally visited the area and held services in the school or community hall. It became part of the Steep Rock Pastoral charge in 1930. The blueprint for the proposed church building was drawn by a Mr. Horwood of Winnipeg. Construction began on the church in August of 1932 and was officially opened and dedicated on March 5, 1933. The church was named the Gysumville Community Church because it was jointly used by both the Anglican and the United Church congregations. The bell for the church came from one of the locomotives belonging to the Gypsumville Lime and Alabastine Company. Gypsumville Community Church joined the Ashern Pastoral charge in 1935, but became its own Pastoral charge in 1940. The Woman's Missionary Society continued to supply medical services when nurses were available until July 30, 1960, when they discontinued their sponsorship and lay ministers began to be supplied by the Board of Home Missions. Gypsumville Community Church joined the Northwest Interlake Pastoral charge in 1961. As of 2009, Gysumville Community Church and Grahamdale United Church make up the two-point Northwest Interlake Pastoral charge in the Selkirk Presbytery.
The records of Gypsumville Community Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from the Northwest Pastoral charge in 1981 and 1982 and from the Central United Church Archives in 1993.
Scope and content
The records of Gypsumville Community Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental Registers pertaining to Baptisms (1933-1960), Marriages (1946-1968) and Burials (1944-1969); records of the congregation (1947-1973); records of the Session (1955-1957); financial records (1947-1973); records of the Sunday School (1945-1969); records of the Woman's Auxiliary (1949-1969); records of the United Church Women (1966-1968); records of the Woman's Missionary Society (1972); records of the C.G.I.T. (1934-1938); and history (1929-1933).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description