Title and statement of responsibility area
Gunton United Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1918 -1988 (Creation)
Physical description area
.5m textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Gunton United Church existed in the Manitoba community of Gunton, northwest of Selkirk, from 1925 to 1987. Its predecessor was a Union church formed in 1912 between Gunton Methodist Church and Windsor Presbyterian Church. It was one of the first Union churches in the Municipality of Rockwood. The Gunton Methodist Church, built in 1907, continued to be used by the United Church. At the time of formal union with The United Church of Canada, Gunton was in a pastoral field with Teulon and Dundas with Rev. James Savage presiding. Gunton United Church closed in 1987. The church continues to be maintained for an annual service, weddings and funerals.
The records of Gunton United Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Teulon Pastoral Charge in 1997.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Gunton United Church include: Sacramental register pertaining to Baptisms (1957-1965), Marriages (1958-1964, 1966, 1974, and 1985), and Burials (1958-1965); records of the Board, including minutes (1927-1947), and Manager meeting minutes (1933), records of the Session, including minutes (1961-1968); records of the Board of Stewards/ Session/ Board, (1966-1987); records of the Annual Congregational meetings, including minutes (1927-1964, 1966-1987); records of the Board of Stewards, including minutes (1957-1965); Membership Roll (1977-1984); correspondence (1985, 1987); Order of Service (1988), canvass book for East of the Tracks (1953-1964), for the Greenwood area (1954-1963) and for the village of Gunton, including Board minutes, (1954-1965); annual reports/ financial records/ charge newsletters (1975-1984); Treasurer's journal (1918-1932); and financial records (1933-1956).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions on access to Baptism, Marriage and Burial registers may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description