Fonds OW.035 - Gunnville, All Saints fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Gunnville, All Saints fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA DRL OW.035

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1925-1970 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1.5cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The first settlers came to the Gunnville district west of Petersfield in the late 1880s. They held their first services in schools and homes. In 1924, when the new Hartley School was built, the Anglicans of Gunnville took the old school, built in 1896, as their church. They renovated the building, added a chancel and called it All Saints Church. The parish, made up of only a dozen or so families, was formed 6 October 1925 by the Right Reverend Matheson. The first incumbent, The Rev WH Walker, lived in the Rectory at Wakefield and was incumbent of St. George's Parish there. Services in the 1930s were held in the evenings. Ministers in those days were Rev Cole and Rev Bolton. After them came The Rev J Dowker, the Rev J Marriott and Canon F Ison. In 1955, the Sunday School Mission Van, All Saints, visited All Saints Parish. By 1966, the church was no longer being used for church services and the congregation had begun to worship at either St George, Wakefield or St Cyprian, Teulon. On 1 September 1966, Bishop JO Anderson secularized the building. The parish was dissolved 6 June 1968. Mr N Harder, who farmed the land around All Saints, bought the land and building which was eventually torn down. The contents went to other rural churches. The organ, some pews and prayer books, went to the rectory in Gimli and the iron fence around the churchyard went to the cemetery at Dundas.

Custodial history

Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984 and 2002.

Scope and content

This fonds includes a parish register for 1939-1963, a vestry book recording services for 1929-1965 and one file folder containing canonical documents (1925-1968) and correspondence.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

All files are held in the Lower Vault.

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Use of parish registers is limited to archives staff. There are no other restrictions.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Rural Parishes Finding Aid

Associated materials

Related material: Registers for Wakefield, St George (OW.100) contains entries for Gunnville, All Saints. WA history: also called Ladies Aid 11/11.

Related materials

Accruals

None

Language of material note

English

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres