Title and statement of responsibility area
Guilds of Children's Hospital
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA HSCA/M F5
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1911 - ? (Creation)
- Guilds of Childrens Hospital
Physical description area
17 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1906 Annie A. Bond approached the local Council of Women to consider establishing a hospital specifically for children. The group of ladies involved in this raised funds to furnish and decorate the hospital as well as made bandages and children’s clothing. By 1911 the women had organized themselves into Guilds with membership being between 30 and 100 members per Guild. They raised money through various ventures and there were four Guilds (St. Agnes, Alexandra, St. John’s and Earl Kitchener) by 1917.
After Children’s Hospital joined the Federated Budget in 1923, the Guilds, after a brief hiatus, reformed and began their work again. With their new focus they helped meet deficits, raised funds for minor renovations and repairs, supplied equipment, contributed to salaries of some staff members and funded research.
By 1938 there were enough eager volunteers that it was necessary to create four new Guilds (Junior St. John (later Annie A. Bond), McKinnon, Lt. Melville Wood and Junior St. Agnes (later Chown).
When the Provincial government took on the costs of running the hospitals in the 1950s, much of the fundraising ceased to be necessary. Research was one of the areas not covered by the new hospital insurance and the Board of Directors of Children’s Hospital established the Children’s Hospital Research Fund to which the Guilds turned their fundraising efforts.
With the creation of Health Sciences Centre in 1973, the Children’s Hospital Research Fund became the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba.
In 1982 the records of the Annie A. Bond Guild were donated to the Archives of Manitoba, the Provincial Archives also holds records related to the St. Agnes Guild and St. Johns Guild. Lt. Melvill Wood Guild disbanded in the 1970s and the remaining members joined the Annie A. Bond Guild.
Due to dwindling numbers, and a School of Nursing Alumni Association that has not been replenished since 1969, the Guilds voted, in 2010, to amalgamate with The Peter Pan Club and the Children’s Hospital Nurses’ Alumni. The newly formed Children’s Hospital Guild of Manitoba continues to raise funds in support of the Children’s Hospital Foundation of Manitoba.
Some Guild records were collected as part of the Children’s Hospital 90th and 100th anniversary celebrations in 1999 and 2009.
In 2010, the Guilds were asked, by the Children’s Hospital Archives Committee, to consider donating their records to the HSC Archives. A representative from the Guilds arranged for the transfer of custody of the records and the first official accrual directly from the Guilds occurred in 2011.
Scope and content
Fonds contains records pertaining to the fundraising efforts and other work of the Guilds as well as material related to Guild Council including, but not limited to, Terms of Reference, Meeting minutes, Financial statements, Annual Reports, Correspondence, Photographs, Membership information, By-laws, Newspaper clippings and Histories.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created 22 February 2011