Fonds Acc 78 - 38 - Griswold Methodist Church fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Griswold Methodist Church fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA UCA Acc 78 - 38

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1897 - 1919 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 volume of textual material.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Biographical history

Griswold Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Griswold, located west of Brandon in the Rural Municipality of Sifton, from 1889 to 1919. The first services were conducted by The Rev. Richard Avison in 1882. The Rev. G.K. Adams arrived in 1886 to become Griswold's first regular minister. Services were held in the town hall, which was also known as Lansdowne Hall. In 1889 a brick church building was built on Dawson Street. Until 1889, the circuit included Griswold, Anworth, Kemnay, Shiloh, Ancrum, Alexander, Bradwardine, Ryerson, Millan and Oak Lake, but it was reduced that same year to include only Griswold, Alexander and Milan. The preaching points remained unchanged until November 15, 1919, when Griswold Methodist Church formed a Local Union with Griswold Presbyterian Church to become Griswold Union Church. The Presbyterian church continued to be used as the Union church. Griswold Methodist Church was eventually sold to the Mennonite congregation in Griswold.

Custodial history

The records of Griswold Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from Griswold United Church in 1978.

Scope and content

The records of Griswold Methodist Church held at the conference archives include records of the Sunday School (1897-1919).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Item level inventory is available.

Associated materials

Related material: See also the records of the Oak Lake Methodist Church for further material pertaining to Griswold Methodist Church. Records of Griswold Methodist Church are also described as part of the Alexander Pastoral charge.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres