Title and statement of responsibility area
Griswold Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 80 - 11
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1886 - 1911 (Creation)
Physical description area
2 volumes textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Griswold Methodist Church existed in the Manitoba community of Griswold, located west of Brandon in the Rural Municipality of Sifton, from 1889 to 1919. The first services were conducted by The Rev. Richard Avison in 1882. The Rev. G.K. Adams arrived in 1886 to become Griswold's first regular minister. Services were held in the town hall, which was also known as Lansdowne Hall. In 1889 a brick church building was built on Dawson Street. Until 1889, the circuit included Griswold, Anworth, Kemnay, Shiloh, Ancrum, Alexander, Bradwardine, Ryerson, Millan and Oak Lake, but it was reduced that same year to include only Griswold, Alexander and Milan. The preaching points remained unchanged until November 15, 1919, when Griswold Methodist Church formed a Local Union with Griswold Presbyterian Church to become Griswold Union Church. The Presbyterian church continued to be used as the Union church. Griswold Methodist Church was eventually sold to the Mennonite congregation in Griswold.
The records of Griswold Methodist Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of a transfer of records from the Alexander Pastoral charge in April of 1980.
Scope and content
The records of Griswold Methodist Church held at the conference archives include records of the Trustee Board (1886-1911).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of the Oak Lake Methodist Church for further material pertaining to Griswold Methodist Church. The Griswold Methodist Church is also described as part of the Griswold Pastoral charge.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description