Title and statement of responsibility area
Grand Marais, St. Jude fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA DRL OW.032
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
6.0 cm textual material
27 still images
27 still images
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Grand Marais, St Jude, was likely formed as a mission of Scanterbury, St Philip, sometime around the turn of the twentieth century. George Rupert and Alex Knott each donated an acre of land for a church and cemetery. The church was built in 1896 out of black poplar logs. In 1931, an addition to the church building was made, in the form of a chancel, sanctuary and two vestry rooms. In 1965, the congregation of St Jude purchased the former Roman Catholic church building and used it for worship. It was dedicated 25 October 1965. The old church is still used occasionally, having been wired for electric heat sometime in the 1950s. A parish hall is located next to the old church. St Jude, from the time of its formation, has been associated with Scanterbury, St Philip (OW.085) and Balsam Bay, St Luke (OW. 006). At the time of description, St Jude is part of the Eastern Beaches ministry group, that includes Scanterbury, Balsam Bay (entering closure proceedings), and Victoria Beach (OW.097).
Parish to Diocesan Archives in 1984.
Scope and content
The records of St Jude held at the Diocesan Archives includes Canonical Documents (1992-1993); Titles (1906-1995); Sacramental Registers (1935-1971); Record of Service books (1929-2008); still images. Research file.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Canonical Documents, Titles, Sacramental Registers and research files are held in the Upper Vault. Record of Service books are located in the Lower Vault. Still images are filed by title and held in the Still Images - Rural Parishes Collection.
Availability of other formats
Parish Registers are also available on microfilm reel #4.
Restrictions on access
Use of Parish registers is restricted to Archives staff.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Rural Parishes Finding Aid
Related material: See also Registers #1-5 from Scanterbury, St Philip (OW.085) for entries pertaining to Grand Marais, St Jude. See also the local history book, East Side of the Red, 1894-1984: The History of the Rural Municipality of St. Clements
Further accruals are expected.
Language of material note
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Scanterbury, St Philip (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description