Title and statement of responsibility area
Winnipeg Grace Methodist Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
.5m textual materials, photographs
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Grace Methodist Church existed in Winnipeg from 1871 until 1925. The predecessor of Grace Methodist Church was a Methodist Mission and the successor was Grace United Church. The first Methodist services in the district of Fort Garry were held in 1868 by George Young. Grace Methodist Church was constructed in 1871 on land donated by the Hudson's Bay Company on the corner of Main and Water Street. In 1883, Grace Church built a larger church on the corner of Notre Dame and Ellice Avenue to accommodate its expanding membership. The congregation of Grace Church and its founder, George Young, organized several missions and congregations throughout the city including Fort Rouge, Young, Broadway and Zion. In 1913, Grace Church purchased property for a new church at the corner of Smith Street and Graham Avenue. However, the congregation was unable to sell its original property and by 1920 the church held a debt amounting to $412,000. The church retained ownership of both properties for several years, until trustees took responsibility and cleared the church from its extreme indebtedness. Grace Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Grace United Church.
The records of Grace Methodist Church came to the conference archives of Manitoba and Northwest Ontario as part of two transfers of records in 1970 and 2000.
Scope and content
The surviving records of Grace Methodist Church are arranged in the following series: Sacramental Registers, pertaining to Baptisms, 1878-1879, Marriages, 1878-1880, and Burials, 1879; records of the Quarterly Official Board and Executive Committee, including minutes, 1901-1922; records pertaining to the Board of Trustees/Stewards and church property, including minutes and financial statement, 1889-1908; and reference material, including a church history, orders of service and photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Some restrictions may apply.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid and item level inventory available.
Related material: See records of Grace United Church for records pertaining to Grace Methodist Church dating from 1889.
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Winnipeg Presbytery (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description