Winnipeg Grace Methodist Church

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Winnipeg Grace Methodist Church

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Grace Methodist Church existed in Winnipeg from 1871 until 1925. The predecessor of Grace Methodist Church was a Methodist Mission and the successor was Grace United Church. The first Methodist services in the district of Fort Garry were held in 1868 by George Young. Grace Methodist Church was constructed in 1871 on land donated by the Hudson's Bay Company on the corner of Main and Water Street. In 1883, Grace Church built a larger church on the corner of Notre Dame and Ellice Avenue to accommodate its expanding membership. The congregation of Grace Church and its founder, George Young, organized several missions and congregations throughout the city including Fort Rouge, Young, Broadway and Zion. In 1913, Grace Church purchased property for a new church at the corner of Smith Street and Graham Avenue. However, the congregation was unable to sell its original property and by 1920 the church held a debt amounting to $412,000. The church retained ownership of both properties for several years, until trustees took responsibility and cleared the church from its extreme indebtedness. Grace Methodist Church joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, becoming Grace United Church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places