Fonds Vols. 4, 5, 1603, 2927, 3544, 3814, 4011, 4693 - Grace Mennonite Church (St. Catharines, Ont.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Grace Mennonite Church (St. Catharines, Ont.) fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA MHCA Vols. 4, 5, 1603, 2927, 3544, 3814, 4011, 4693

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1957-2001 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

64 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Grace Mennonite Church was founded in 1956 in St. Catharines, Ontario. They began by worshipping in rented facilities. In 1958 they completed their own meeting house. The congregation was incorporated in 1957 and joined the conference as an independent congregation in 1960. The important factor in beginning this congregation was the need for an English-language place of worship for the Mennonite community. The founding group included Henry Nickel, Walter Epp, and Henry Schellenberg. In 1961 the membership stood at 144, in 1975 it was 238 and then remained at about that level, being 224 in 2000. The leaders of the congregation were: David Schroeder (1956), Henry Fransen (1956-1963), Arthur Dick (1964-1966), John Krahn (1967-1969), Edward Enns (1971-1974), Fred Unruh (1975-1984), Henry Paetkau (1985-2000), Wanda and Doug Amstutz (2001- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains bulletins (1968-2001), congregational directories (1967-1994), newsletters (1966-1998), congregational office holders lists (1970-1988), a brief congregational history (1977, 1996), correspondence (1959-1965), annual reports (1958-1999), congregational constitution (1957), pictorial directory (1979), church council meeting minutes (1971-1974), and congregational meeting minutes (1971-1999). The records pertain to the founding and development of the Mennonite congregation in St. Catharines, Ontario. They document the leaders and participants in the congregation.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Inventory file list available.

Online version of finding aid available at: http://www.mennonitechurch.ca/programs/archives/holdings/ON/ON_GraceMCStCatharines.htm

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Language of material note

Some German.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres