Title and statement of responsibility area
Gladstone Presbyterian Church fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
CA UCA Acc: 78-39; 1998-5; 2000-25; 2005-37
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
8 cm textual material.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Gladstone Presbyterian Church existed in the Manitoba community of Gladstone, located east of Neepawa, from 1878 to 1923. The field originally included Second Crossing (Woodside), McGregor (Mekiwin), Palestine (Gladstone), and Ricmond (Plumas). An 1878 Session meeting of the Session recorded that logs were sawn and a church building completed. Rev. D. Stalker arrived in 1881 and services became more regular. In 1891 the large pastoral field was divided into three districts, Northern, Centre (Gladstone), and Southern. In 1892 a Rev. McNabb held services in his home on the banks of Dead Lake. He retired soon after and deeded the land which is now Gladstone Cemetery to the Presbyterian Church. Golden Stream Church joined Gladstone in 1894. The congregation united with Methodists and Baptists for 6 weeks of summer services from 1915-17. In 1923, Gladstone Presbyterian Church formed a Local Union with Gladstone Methodist Church to become Gladstone Union Church. Gladstone Presbyterian Church continued to be used as the Union Church. In 1925, Gladstone Union Church officially joined The United Church of Canada to become Gladstone United Church.
The records of Gladstone Presbyterian Church came to The United Church of Canada Archives-Conference of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario as part of several transfers of records from the Gladstone Pastoral charge in 1978 and from Gladstone United Church in 1998, 2000, and 2005.
Scope and content
The records of Gladstone Presbyterian Church held at the conference archives include: Sacramental register pertaining to Baptisms (1884-1897); Marriages (1884-1902); and Burials (1884-1888, 1898) plus marriage certificates (1903-1924) and one registration of death (1903); Communion Roll (1894-1921); records of the congregation (1910-1924); financial records (1888-1924); records of the Ladies Aid Society (1895-1906); and records of the Woman's Missionary Society (1908-1909).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
No restrictions on access.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item level inventory is available.
Related material: See also the records of Gladstone United Church and the Private Register of S. Polson for other material pertaining to Gladstone Presbyterian Church.
No further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description